We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Townships and the Kruger National Park

Krugersdorp, South...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Topic
Townships and the Kruger National Park

We have recently spent some time in the Kruger which was just incredible. Even the drive from Pretoria is amazing - clean roads and well run - well done to Sanral on keeping this in such good shape. Pity it has to be ruined by the filth of the adjoining townships. Absolute chaos driving thru these places and which just ruins everything.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Townships and the Kruger National Park

Here's the root cause of those conditions that bothered you:

"..The unemployment rate in South Africa is one of the highest in the world, 36% to 42% since the year 2000 using the broad definition. Even according to the narrow definition, which applies a job-search test, 25-30% of adults who wanted work and actively looked for it were unemployed.."

And in the countryside, it's worse than those nationwide statistics.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,051 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Townships and the Kruger National Park

That must have been very uncomfortable for you.

Reasons perfectly explained by Dave. Most tourists rarely drive through the townships but we have gone through quite a few and never found any to be filthy, in fact have been surprised by the experience, but I guess it will happen in places when you consider there is often no running water or removal of waste supplied.

Sad that to see how so many thousands of people have to live on a daily basis ruined things for you.

Kruger National...
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Townships and the Kruger National Park

Well said, Sandsman!!!!!!

Hazyview, South...
Level Contributor
3,791 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Townships and the Kruger National Park

I just wonder if there is not someone who just wants to stir the pot.

As a South African living in Krugersdorp one for sure is used to townships. The ones around JHB and Pretoria are definitely in no way better than anywhere in SA.

For me it is the hardship the people experience on a daily base that are living in these townships, that ruins everything for me.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Townships and the Kruger National Park

I'm quite suprised at the OPs post. Townships in big cities are way worse, in fact Krugersdorp itself is not a very clean place and i'm not even talking about Kagiso which is the township there. In fact from Nelspruit - Hazyview - Krugergate or Phalaborwa gate through the Bushbuckridge area is rural, but it is by no means townships, I fact I don't really recall driving through a township when going to Kruger. The most rural part is the drive between Hazyview and Kruger gate, but it is not shacks, it is proper houses, some still a work in progress but I find those areas very neat. People in these rural areas are poor but by no means do I find it filthy...in comparison with Diepsloot etc running next to the N14 in Joburg.

And in all honesty when people don't even have access to basic sanitation and refuge removal how can you expect that everything must be in a perfect condition...ggmmmpppfff.

I agree with Abangane, someone trying to stir the pot...and a first time poster at that, what a suprise.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,671 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Townships and the Kruger National Park

I had originally written something more pointed - but decided not to get into a p---ing contest with the OP. And Miki expressed what I thought when I read the post. He is apparently calling the communities along the R40 and maybe the R536 or R538 townships. That's nutty.

7. Re: Townships and the Kruger National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 06:16