We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shuttle or flight from Jo'burg to Nelspruit?

Austin, Texas
8 posts
Save Topic
Shuttle or flight from Jo'burg to Nelspruit?

I'll be traveling to South Africa this October and am finalizing transportation arrangements. My flight to JNB is booked and my transportation is taken care of once I get to Nelspruit, so I'm trying to figure out the connection and am debating between flying or taking a shuttle. A South African Airways ticket is $227 roundtrip, while City Bug shuttle is about $79. I have previously flown SAA and the experience was fine, but the savings for the shuttle are pretty considerable. Does anyone have experience with the City Bug shuttle system, and would you recommend it? I will have a fairly long layover in either case - I will arrive at 7:10 am and can catch an 11:10 am flight or an 11:30 am shuttle. Are there any potential issues with hanging out in the bus terminal for several hours if I take the shuttle? Thanks for your help!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shuttle or flight from Jo'burg to Nelspruit?

Hi,

I have taken the City Bug - departure was prompt, vehicle was clean and driver careful. I would definitely go for shuttle - seem to recall that trip took about 5 1/2 hours - then you can also see the countryside.

From what I can recall, the shuttle collects you from either the airport or a safe departure point.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 03:30
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shuttle or flight from Jo'burg to Nelspruit?

On rereading your question, I see that I omitted to reply to your concern about safety. In Nelspruit the bus departs from a safe departure point.

By the way, I used Citybug in one direction and returned with Lowveld Link and the latter service was also excellent.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,816 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shuttle or flight from Jo'burg to Nelspruit?

I'm thinking you may have been asking about the Bus Terminal in Johannesburg. That's the name of a small area at OR Tambo airport that is located behind the Intercontinental hotel, which is across the driveway from the Terminal. You can do some waiting in the Terminal.. maybe have something at the Food Court to kill some time. Or sit around elsewhere in the Terminal. Or sit at one of the tables on the terrace of the Quills Restaurant at the hotel and have some tea and people watch (on a nice day). In other words, 100% safe.

Just asking if - when you get to Nelspruit - you are not going onward to a safari lodge? I don't think you will be able to reach one in time for the PM game drive.

Austin, Texas
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shuttle or flight from Jo'burg to Nelspruit?

Thanks for the input! Looks like I'll probably do the shuttle then. I'm actually doing a vet course there, and will get picked up in Nelspruit, so no game drives to worry about

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,816 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shuttle or flight from Jo'burg to Nelspruit?

That sounds like fun - as well as educational. You may have some hands-on experiences with animals the rest of us only see from the seat of a Land Rover.

6. Re: Shuttle or flight from Jo'burg to Nelspruit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 05:16