We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining Alone in Johannesburg

Sausalito...
Level Contributor
3 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Dining Alone in Johannesburg

I love food and want to eat at one or two great restaurants in Johannesburg but I am traveling alone. Any suggestions? Any restaurants that serve dinner at the bar, like we do in the US? Or foodie groups? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining Alone in Johannesburg

There aren't really places where they will serve you at the bar. But there is no issue eating alone either. In terms of foodie groups, there are a few on meetup . com and also have a look at Secret Eats, they have events occasionally.

As for suggestions, what sort of food are you looking for?

New Plymouth
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining Alone in Johannesburg

I never had trouble eating alone in Johannesburg. I got the feeling it was considered slightly odd to go out by yourself, but there was never any trouble whatever. Taking a book or a Kindle made me feel more comfortable.

You don't get to eat at the bar as in the US or UK, you ask for a table for one, and they take you to it - often giving you a choice as to where to sit. South African wine is lovely, and the food tends to be very good value.

Tipping is about 10%, and unlike in the US, South Africans have never tried to shame me into giving them more money.

Recommendations - I stay in Melville each time I go, so can recommend the IT Cafe where you not only get food delivered to your table, but a laptop computer as well, the Lucky Bean, the Portuguese restaurant whose name I cannot recall - all on Seventh Street.

Many of the best restaurants are scattered all over the Northern Suburbs - ask around for recommendations when you get there. The place is stacked full of good restaurants, there is no need to eat badly there. Also inquire at your accommodation.

I stay at Die Agterplaas in Melville - they have a Belgian chef, and I would really recommend it. He has this real THING about bread (don't get him started on that topic, although after I read up on how mass produced bread is made I symphasised) - but you may be amused at the sight of him literally using a home-made hacksaw on it... They do three course dinners every evening for their guests, but you have to pre-book.

Sausalito...
Level Contributor
3 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining Alone in Johannesburg

Thank you so much for this information!

4. Re: Dining Alone in Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 06:16