We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Africa Trip - Suggestions for 2 wks b/w Kruger and CT

Abbotsford, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Africa Trip - Suggestions for 2 wks b/w Kruger and CT

Hello all,

Was hoping for some advice on ideas for two weeks of "unplanned" time I have in SA. Heading out next week, flying into Jo'berg and straight to Vic falls. Will be spending about 5 days there then heading back to SA to Nelspruit by plane. Renting car there and spending a week in Kruger. We then have 3 weeks left of the trip and want to spend the final week in and around Cape Town experiencing the city and wine country.

Travelling with my lady, both of us have backpacked a lot: SE asia, Peru, Brazil, Costa Rica. We like lots of adventure activities, hikes/biking/4x4s/partying with other travellers/wine/eco experiences and reserves (lady works in wildlife rehab)/occasional day at the beach.

My question is should we plan to keep the vehicle we use in Kruger and drive/explore our way down to Cape Town over the two weeks we have after Kruger? Or ditch the car and go via shuttles/baz bus etc.? There seems to be a lot of driving between some of the places along the coast and I'm thinking we may be better off shuttling around until we reach some point along the way that there isn't much to see between it and CT and just fly from there. Or keep the car until some specified place and fly from there. Where that place is I'm not sure, maybe Durban or East London/Port Elizabeth area.

Of things we think we'll want to see during those two weeks, I'm pretty sure Lesotho/Drakensberg area will be on the list, St. Lucia seems pretty chill, Swaziland perhaps.

Let me know what you guys think?

Edited: 25 August 2014, 06:48
Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Africa Trip - Suggestions for 2 wks b/w Kruger and CT

Have you booked your accommodation in Kruger? There is very little left available for September in the park.

Abbotsford, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First Africa Trip - Suggestions for 2 wks b/w Kruger and CT

Yes, booked pretty late (about a week ago and worked out pretty well I think. Croc Bridge - Skukuza - Satara - Letaba. Still looking for a private reserve to stay for a couple nights once we finish there.

Naracoorte
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Africa Trip - Suggestions for 2 wks b/w Kruger and CT

Good work! That selection of camps sounds great. Do make a point of visiting the Elephant Hall whilst at Letaba camp. Hope you have some terrific sightings too.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Africa Trip - Suggestions for 2 wks b/w Kruger and CT

I'd suggest you keep your car for atleast a while after Kruger.Spend 2 nighst staying in a place like Graskop and explore the Panorama route. It is a stunning area and there are lots to see and do. From there drive via Swaziland where you might also choose to spend 1 or 2 nights, to St.Lucia. The St.Lucia area has so much to see in do, if you are divers, consider spending a day or so in Sodwana, otherwise based yourselves at St.Lucia for 3 or 4 nights and explore the area from there. After this head to the Drakesberg for a few nights, followed by a night or two in the midlands. If you are interested in history a night in the Battlefields are also recommended. Then drive back to either Durban or Johannesburg and fly to PE...if you drive back to JHB I'd recommend you fly to George, then stay in Knysna area for a few days and head back to CPT from there. There is so much to do and see, I suggest you first decide whether you want to spend more time on the Garden Route or Natal area. If the former you can fly to PE and work your way to CPT from there.

Abbotsford, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: First Africa Trip - Suggestions for 2 wks b/w Kruger and CT

Thanks Miki,

That sounds very reasonable for what we had in mind. Durban is probably an ideal spot to drop the car off and fly out to George to work our way down the garden trail into Cape Town, or budget a few extra days and fly to PE and go from there.

I wonder how flexible the car companies are with drop off dates down there, will be hard to pinpoint exactly when we will arrive back in Durban, will have to ballpark it and hope we make it I guess.

6. Re: First Africa Trip - Suggestions for 2 wks b/w Kruger and CT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 06:16