We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari question

Melb
2 posts
Save Topic
Safari question

Hello folks,

First time poster.

I've got a question. A friend from work would like to go on a Tanzania/East African safari. It would be her first time to Africa. What she's trying to avoid is paying exhorbitant rates to a Western agency for a safari, one of the reasons being that this money doesn't mostly end up in African hands.

Now... how feasible would it be for her to visit as a normal tourist, and then book a safari trip whilst she's there? Would this actually work out cheaper? How regulated and safe would such a trip be, and would there be a means of touching base with any such contacts before she booked her flight to check whether a trip would be available during her time there?

Many thanks in advance.

State College, Pa
Level Contributor
785 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari question

Nipsy, understand your friend's concern. Just like travel packages here in the US there will be a gradient of costs. Some will be high simply for the name of the provider while others will understandibly so be high for the outstanding service including luxury. For safaris we have used a US-based company (which subcontracts to local firms incountry). But, I also checked prices that same in-country company charges for clients who deal with them direct. In some cases I was able to pay less by dealing with the US company. Thus, you need to do a bit of homework. And, some people hesitate to deal direct with an overseas company via the Internet or mail. We have in the case of trips to southern Tanzania. For those we worked thru their family office in England.

Depending on when your friend desires to travel I certainly would not recommend waiting until she get in-country and then arrange for a safari. Many of the better lodges/camps book up months if not longer ahead.

Suggest she do her homework including discussion boards such as this one and Fodors. She should be able to find affordible safaris thru local companies even with US or European contacts.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari question

Hi

I agree re the lodges filling month in advance.

Your friend can check a companys repute via the Tanzanian board of tourism ttb2@ud.co.tz or the Association of Tanzanian tour operators "TATO" tato@cybernet.co.tz they will tell you if that company is licenced and of good repute :-)

3. Re: Safari question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 09:17