We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late June Itinerary

usa
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Late June Itinerary

Planning a family safari next summer ( if budget affords it). If we decide to travel in late June, I was wondering if we should make Tarangire part of our itinerary. Many guide books say that it is a great park to visit during the dry season from July to Sept. Would the last week in June still be too early to visit?

Also, aside from Central Serengeti, should we be in the Western or Northern Corridor? The guide books say to be in the Westen part in June and the Northern part in July. However, I seem to really like the Migration camp and was hoping to be able to stay there . Would we be able to see any game at this time if we decided to stay there? Any advice or comments are much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for all the valuable information on this forum. It's been a great help!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late June Itinerary

While there are no guarantees as to when the migration will be in any specific place (they move with the rains, or dryness) they generally will be in both the Northern and Western corridors at the time you will be there. There are actually two parts of the migration moving towards the Mara, one going in the Western part of the Serengeti, and another column going directly North to the Mara, thus they will be moving through the Central and Northern portion of the Serengeti. There will most probably be a lot of animals to see when you are there, more then you've ever seen before in one place.

In addition, I would suggest that on the way to the Serengeti you also visit Ngorongoro Crater. There are always a lot of animals there, you can't turn you head without seeing quite a few animals. Also, the Tarangire will be getting back it's large herds of elephants then.

Again, nothing is guaranteed as the animals move according to their schedule, not ours.

Have a good safari.

usa
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late June Itinerary

Karl,

Thanks for your response. How woud you suggest I break up a 5 or 6 night safari between Serengeti, Ngorongoro and Tarangire. I was thinking 1 night each in Tarangire and NC and 3 nights Serengeti. If I can throw in an extra night, where do you think it should be? Yours and anyone's advice is appreciated. Again, thanks!

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Late June Itinerary

Hi

Tarangire is such a beautiful park its worth going too :-)

Split your days like this:

Tarangire

Drive to Serengeti

Serengeti

Serengeti to Ngorongoro

Crater tour and return to Arusha.

Btw the crater service fee increases from $100 per vehicle per descent to $200 from the 01.07.07.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Late June Itinerary

Achnab... Wow!! They are really trying to keep a lot of the people/vehicles out of the crater, aren't they. I would make a guess that Kilimanjaro may be next for a big hike in fees.

I'm going to be flying to Arusha late in May (22nd). Will stop at the Golden Rose and see you. I will be on my way to Tanga after a short stay in Arusha, then to Dar and perhaps Dodoma and Singida before I come back to Arusha and then leaving in late June.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late June Itinerary

Achnab... I got my fingers mixed up, I'll be landing at JRO on the 27th.