We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari to n-Tz in Sep

Dar es Salaam
3 posts
Save Topic
Safari to n-Tz in Sep

Hi.

I am trying to plan for a trip in September for my wife and her sister to the northern parks of Tz.

The plan is to go from Arusha to Tarangire, then to Ngorongoro and from there to Serengeti and finally back to Arusha. We are planning for a 7 days (+/- 1 day) safari.

I would like advise on the following:

1) Is it correct that we have to look into finding a place in the northern part of Serengeti because in Sep the migration might have left for Masai Mara but hopefully there would be plenty of game still left in the northern part of Serengeti? Is it even worth going to Serengeti in Sep - any suggestions to go elsewhere since Serengeti is expensive and so if there are only few animals that time of the year it might be better spending more days another place?

2) We would like to stay at smaller places (avoid the big hotels) like tented camps. Any suggestions for the parks we intend to visit? My wife and I are residents of Tz so I would like to hear if anyone know of any lodge/place which has resident price to help our budget?

3) I left out Lake Manyara as my wife and I have been there before and did not find it very interesting. But that means long transport going back to Arusha from Serengeti - any suggestions for interesting stop somewhere along the way?

4) I have never been to Tarangire so I would like to know how many days would be recommendable to spend in that park?

Kind regards,

Mike

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari to n-Tz in Sep

Hi Mike, I don't know of any of the lodges in the parks which give resident's rates (I have a resident's permit and have never been able to get them there) but perhaps you can do that. I would try.

In September the animals are getting ready to come back to the Serengeti. You might want to consider going to the Central Serengeti during that time of the year. They have quite a few resident animals there (quite a few resident lion prides, leopards, etc.)

If it's been dry, then the Tarangire will be good in September as the large elephant herds will probably not have left yet. You might want to consider a day or two there.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari to n-Tz in Sep

Hi Mike

Leaving out Manyara

You could even do it the other way around and fly into Serengeti and work your way back, means shorter travelling distances :-)

I love Tarangire the landscape is perfect and the tents at Tarangire safari lodge overlooking the river ............two days is good make sure you go all the way down to the Swamp, and not just around the river.

Serengeti is always worth it, there are tented camps that folllow the wildlife like Serengeti Savannah camp company.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari to n-Tz in Sep

Hello,

In September I'd recommend the Mara Triangle -- the Migration should be moving down through the northern corridor so you may be able to catch a river crossing. Camps in this area include Nomad Serengeti and Sayari.

I'd recommend two or three days in Tarangire -- a lot of people only allot one day for this park which is a real shame. September is one of the best times to be there to see the big herds near the river. I'd recommend Oliver's Camp -- they are in a wilderness area so you can do some off-road driving (a big help in following game) and walking for a bit of variety on your trip, and the guiding is superb.

Cheers,

Julian

4. Re: Safari to n-Tz in Sep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 01:19