We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daily cost for a guide/vehicle on a lodge-based itinerary?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Topic
Daily cost for a guide/vehicle on a lodge-based itinerary?

Just trying to understand all of the cost variables in an Eastern Africa safari. I've got rough ideas for lodges and flights, but have no idea how much you pay for a guide/vehicle. We would be staying at Serena-type lodges and assume we would pay for their lodging in the safari cost, too. Any ideas on an average daily cost?

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Daily cost for a guide/vehicle on a lodge-based itinerary?

Hi

It depends really on the company, some companys just put the raw costs and what they need as vehicle hire others put a % on top as well, a rough guide to vehicle hire cost would be betweeen $130 to $180

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,658 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daily cost for a guide/vehicle on a lodge-based itinerary?

Hi Achnab is spot on.

I budget $150 per day.This includes subsistence for your driver etc., at the various overnight stops.

Quite why some Outfitters persist in giving only "Global inclusive quotes" has baffled me for years. If they won't do it now, when asked, I go elsewhere.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Daily cost for a guide/vehicle on a lodge-based itinerary?

Thanks, folks!

mfuwe - what outfitters will break out the costs that way for you? I have not found anyone yet that does it.

I'm sure they don't do it because they don't want you to see their profit. I really don't care about that as I know they are in the business to make money and a safari seems like the type of trip where a planner is extremely valuable. It is frustrating to me, however, to not know the exact cost breakdown because I would like to be able to play around with my itinerary and know the rough cost impact without having to submit a request to my planner.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,658 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daily cost for a guide/vehicle on a lodge-based itinerary?

12Vman,

I could not agree more. I like to see the menu like in a Restaurant. You do not go in and eat for a fixed price. You are told what is available andat what price and allowed to choose.

I agree the lack of transparency with certain Safari Operators is an ill advised attempt to cloak their mark up and like you I am realistic enough to accept people need to eat. All I want is the ability to arrange my trip around a set of known factors. After all knowing the price of the various Lodges, the Park Fees etc., you do not have to be very bright to know what the car costs so why the heck won't they tell you?

You ask for the name of a transparent website? Take a look at www.swalasafaris.com . That is why they got my business this next trip in preference to another Arusha based firm who have done my last three. Your Serena prices are there too!

Enjoy.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Daily cost for a guide/vehicle on a lodge-based itinerary?

Just to clarify, did you mean $150/day total or per person for the guide and vehicle?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,658 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daily cost for a guide/vehicle on a lodge-based itinerary?

Total cost $150 for Car and driver /guide. i.e. Whether on your own or in party of 4 the cost is the same. This is the fixed cost of your trip, the rest, park fees, lodgings, food etc., are of course per person in the party.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Daily cost for a guide/vehicle on a lodge-based itinerary?

Ok, that is what I thought, but just wanted to make sure.

BTW, I've found some lodges/camps will offer discounts or packages if you contact them directly. I think we are going to go that route in Kenya since we are flying between locations there.

kansas city
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Daily cost for a guide/vehicle on a lodge-based itinerary?

12VMan, we are in the process of booking our 2nd safari for late January with Journey to Africa and our 10-day private safari (with Michael again) is averaging $480 per person with lodges, fees, vehicle etc - BUT - we are staying in high end lodges like Sayari South, Olakira, Kiruruma Camp and Farm House. *Sigh* can't wait.

Our safari in November of 2006 was about $370 but then we had the 2 kiddos with us. This time, just hubby and I - early 20th anni present.

Mfuwe and Karl - we are 80% there - a 2nd safari awaits.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,658 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Daily cost for a guide/vehicle on a lodge-based itinerary?

I know Mary,

But I will be there before you.