We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visas - US Citizens

Orlando
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visas - US Citizens

Just back from Tanzania. At Kilimanjaro airport, all US citizens were getting charged $100 for visas as the immigration officials there claimed the Visa price just got hiked a few days before. I'd advise all folks travelling there to double check before they leave otherwise be prepared to pay. We thought it was a scam at first, but a UN official in line was charged as well despite her putting up objections. I switched pasports quickly and presented my UK one (dual national!). Luckily UK citizens are still $50. What a place!!

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visas - US Citizens

Hi

There is a posting about some pages back, basically it is because Tanzanians travelling to the USA have to pay $100 for a visa so.......

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,436 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visas - US Citizens

cujimmy!

"What a place!"

Yes I agree Tanzania is a beautiful and interesting country inhabited by very friendly and courteous people.

Please do not imply otherwise!

Check your facts before travelling, or commenting adversely in this manner!

A Visa for US Passport holders has been $100 since 1st July. It was introduced "Tit for Tat" as Achnab correctly says.

You will probably find it is the same in Uganda and Kenya too.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visas - US Citizens

Go Mfuwe!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,662 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visas - US Citizens

I believe the actual date the new VISA price went into effect was 20th September '07. Visitors up to this time had paid $50.

Orlando
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visas - US Citizens

Seems like others need to check their faxts as well! Since your smart ar*e comments others have given conflicting dates and prices. I can make whatever cooments I like about the place. Did I make any derogaory comments about the country or people, NO! And if anything, the Immigration folks at the airport were very rude to the US citizens and had no need being as they were with them.Keep your catty comments to yourself or I'll give you plenty back. I did a search by the way before posting and it did not come up for some reason. Just trying to help others out. There is absolutely no need for the tit for tat nonsense. I suppose you think that is OK. What do you teach your kids. Hit back.? Get real.

Orlando
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visas - US Citizens

Mfuwe, I was in Kenya as well FYI. They still only charge $50. Seems like you're wrong there as well. Check YOUR facts first! The last reply was for your info as well.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,436 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visas - US Citizens

CU2Jimmy!

1.The US caused the problem. (no change there)

2. Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania are a common travel area. Each honour each others Passports so my use of the word "probably" probably qualifies what is about to happen if it has not already.

3. Your use of the words "What a place!" implies a derogatory comment about a beautiful place and people.

4. The $100 was due to start 1st July, maybe they just phased it in to be helpful.

< I can make whatever cooments I like about the place. > Of course you can, subject to others being permitted to challenge your views or is it just one way?

<Did I make any derogaory comments about the country or people, >NO! "What a place!" in the context you used it! Or was it perhaps an exclamation of admiration?

<Keep your catty comments to yourself or I'll give you plenty back.> Catty? Moi? No just stepping up to defend a country and people ill placed to do so for themselves.

< There is absolutely no need for the tit for tat nonsense.> Well tell your government, not us.

You will not have experienced your smiling welcoming Department of Homeland Security with your two Passports. Others have!

I suppose you think that is OK?

What do you teach your kids(?). Hit back.(? ) Every time, laddie! every time!

Orlando
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Visas - US Citizens

Never had a problem with Dept of Homeland Security. Dual nationalities are allowed in case you don't know. Mind you, from your comments, you seem to know everything. It should just be a Forum based on your knowhow, seems like your napper is getting too big for your body. Posters like you that hide behing a keyboard usually are. Give us all a break and spare us from your verbal dross.

For others that may be interested, we had a brilliant time apart from the arrival. Great weather, great lodges and seen everything we wanted to. We'll definately be back.

9. Re: Visas - US Citizens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 18:19