We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any feedback on my itinerary?

at123
4 posts
Save Topic
Any feedback on my itinerary?

I know people do this a lot, but everyone here seems so knowledgable so I figured I would run this by. Below is a sample itinerary through Basecamp LTD. It is for an 8 day trek in July. Price is $1325. Is this a reasonable trip/price quote? It looks great to me, but I am a novice when it comes to safari planning. I appreciate everyone's input.

DAY 1

Arrive at Kilimanjaro International Airport - Collection via Base Camp and transfer to the L'Oasis - Lodge and Restaurant or Outpost Lodge

Serengeti National Park

DAY 2

A full days sheer pleasure in the Serengeti National Park, game Driving with over 14.000. square kms to explore in our search for the best that nature has to offer!• Camp at Seronera campsite

DAY 3

AM: In the Serengeti National Park we rise at dawn, taking a tip from the wildlife that use this time to hunt.

PM: En-route to Ngorongoro Crater: En-route we stop at Oldupai Gorge to visit the 'Cradle Of Mankind',

after which we continue on to our campsite on the rim of the crater, at 2.300m.

DAY 4

Ngorongoro Crater - We spend the maximum of six hours allowed game driving in this the worlds largest Caldera (collapsed volcano)• amongst the circa 30,000 resident animals.• Late afternoon return to Arusha and overnight L'Oasis - Lodge and Restaurant or Outpost Lodge

DAY 5

Fly from Arusha to Zanzibar /Airport Collection and • overnight at the LangiLangi Beach Bungalows situated at Nungwi beach on the north Coast.• Nungwi has a soft and fine sandy beach A magical spot to relax and unwind

DAY 6

Langi Langi, you have the choice to either relax on the beach,• or enjoy one of the many activities available from the hotel. i.e.: - Fishing trip - snorkeling - - Trip to Jozani forest to see the rare red kicks colobus monkeys endemic only to Zanzibar

DAY 7

Langi Langi, today you have the choice to either relax on the beach, or enjoy one of the above activities

DAY 8

Time to explore the historic old stone town. Departure: Flight Zanzibar-Dar Es Salaam.

For clients departing from Dar Es Salaam this is included in the tour price

COST PER PERSON

CAMPING SAFARI $800 PP

ZANZIBAR $525 PP

TOTAL PER PERSON $1,325

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ALL INCLUSIVE OF AIRPORT TRANSFERS -ARRIVEL & DEPARTURE / ALL PARK FEES / RANGER FEES / 4X4 TRANSPORT / ENGLISH SPEAKING DRIVER-GUIDE/ BOTTLED WATER ON SAFARI/ FULL BOARD = BREAKFAST+LUNCH+DINNER / HOTEL ACCOMDATION DAYS AS SHOWN ABOVE. / /

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

NOT INCLUDED ALL THINGS OF A PERSONAL NATURE IE: ALCOHOL / TIPS-GRATUITIES/LAUNDRY,

SOUVENIRS / AIRPORT TAX'ES

Houston
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any feedback on my itinerary?

How do you get to Serengeti on Day 2 - it looks like you are driving which means you are driving all day to Serengeti. You not getting a full day there for sure.

In my opinion, this is too rushed. You need at least 2-3 nights in Serengeti.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any feedback on my itinerary?

I am assuming that you don't have a lot of time to spend here. If so then you will be hurrying around to visit the places you want to see and go to. It will be a long drive, unless you are flying from Arusha to the Serengeti.

Base Camp will do a good job for you. The price is very reasonable, especially considering that it includes the in-country air transfers.

Enjoy.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,419 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Any feedback on my itinerary?

Wow! Mefi caught this first, but yeh, way too much driving, too long.

Day 2 - from Arusha, without stops it's minimum 8/hrs to Seronera, if no traffic... in other words a travel day that you're paying for; won't arrive at campsite till almost dusk.

Day 4 - Ngorongoro - 6/hrs is sufficient for crater but from here it's 5-6/hrs back to Arusha.

Question? Do you really have to visit the beach? You'd do better adding these days to safari. At least another full day in the Serengeti and maybe 2/nts at Tarangire for the elephant experience.

at123
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Any feedback on my itinerary?

Thanks for your comments.

I do indeed only have a limited time to spend, and I was trying to get a full Tanzanian experience in 8 days with a combination of Safari and Beach. Maybe I'll look into spending one less day at the beach?

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,175 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any feedback on my itinerary?

Or, take out the Serengeti (long drive, and you are taking a lot of driving time out to and back).

For safari, maybe look into Ngorongoro Crater 1 day followed up by Lake Manyara the next day. (you will see just about every animal in these 2 areas, minus the cheetah)

We just got back from tanzania and the 1 thing I was happy we did was have 1 down day after arrival (initially to get over jet lag and get rested to enjoy Kili and safari) but it turned out to be much more beneficial as not 1 bag from our group of 8 arrived when we did. Therefore, the down day turned helped us locate our bags otherwise our trip would have started out badly.

Matt

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,351 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any feedback on my itinerary?

Hi

One point from the entrance into Ngorongoro until the campsite in Serengeti one will game drive, the migration is in the Ndutu area so it would be impossible just to hurtle through :-)

Arrival at the camp should be just before dusk so the cook has time to do his magic :-)

7. Re: Any feedback on my itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 19:19