I've researched for over 2 months now on all kind of sites, but mostly on TA Forum and Fodors and Tatotz.com member page. I also bought Bradt's guide to Tanzania and also a photography book on the animals in the Northern circuit. But still need some advice and have some questions. Warning this post is long, but please help :).
My husband and I want to spend approximately 14 days to do a safari in Tarangire - Lake Manyara - Ngorongoro and Serengeti. We want to do a private safari just the two of us and we have a budget on 500 USD per night per person excluded international plane tickets.
He is a amateur photographer and want to be in Tanzania when it will be best to take pictures. Is there any months better than the other? I know "all" about the pros and cons of migration in different months and the long rains etc, but haven't found any good answer to this. We are not birders, but I've read that we probably will be :).
I have thought about this itinerary, does it make sense? Any input to make it better? Would really like some input on driving distances in Serengeti. And whether we should fly from place to place in Serengeti?
- Overnight in Arusha
- Drive to Tarangire (if dry season), stay 2 nights either in Tarangire Treetops (night game driving) or Swala Camp (inside park)
- Drive to Lake Manyara, stay two nights at Kirurumu Tented Camp or Lake Manyara Tree Lodge
- Drive to Ngorongoro Crater - afternoon game drive in Crater. 1 night on Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge or Crater Lodge. Morning game drive in Crater
-If we leave out Tarangire due to season, we'd like to stay 2 nights in Southern Serengeti at Ndutu Lodge
- Drive to Serengeti Seronera Valley for 2 nights, where should we stay here? I really can't decide where to stay - looks like Seronera Lodge is the best location, but not very good reports. We want to stay as close as possible to the "main gaming area" - would it be best to stay in a private camp or Serena/Sopa/Mbuzi Mawe Tented Camp? I've read that the distance from the last three is about 45-90 min drive, will there be any good gaming on our way?
- Drive to Western Corridor, stay 2 nights at Kirawira Tented Camp
- Drive to Northern Serengeti to try to see the migration in July/August. Stay 2 nights at Migration Camp or Sayari Camp
- Fly back to Arusha/Kilimanjaro Airport from Northern Serengeti. Stay one night and experience some of everyday life in Arusha, maybe visit school/hospital to make a donation. Are there any orphanage in Arusha? I really like the idea of a monthly donation to an orphanage (I do that in Thailand already).
When it comes to vehicles, would it be best to have a Land Rover or Land Cruiser? And which is best when taking pictures pop-up or flip-flop roof tops?
Thank you so much for taking your time to help!