We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this Itinerary too crowded?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Is this Itinerary too crowded?

Hi all,

I would really appreciate your critique of our honeymoon safari, scheduled for aug 1-6

01.08 - pick up from airport, drive to arusha, overnight at

Arusha outpost

02.08 - tarangire national park dinner overnight at

paradise resort camp.

03.08 - drive to serengeti national park on the way visit masai tribe, dinner and overnight at seronera campsite.

04.08 - early morning game drive in serengeti national park then drive to ngorongoro crater for game drive dinner overnight at ngorongoro serena lodge

05.08 - drive to lake eyasi to visit the bushman(hadzabe)and hunting with them afternoon drive to manyara.Overnight at manyara camp.

06.08 - drive in Manyara national park. afternoon drive to arusha. overnight stay in outpost. In the morning, drive to airport.

Thanks so much!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this Itinerary too crowded?

You will be going a long way for only one day in the Serengeti. You don't say the time of the year and this may make a difference on where you want to go.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this Itinerary too crowded?

Sorry, I didn't see that you were going to be there in August. Tarangire will be very good then. I might suggest that you skip Manyara and spend some more time in the Serengeti. The migration will not be there, but there will be plenty of resident animals, especially in the Central Serengeti. Some people get turned off by the Hadzabe people's hunting. They will probably kill a monkey and have him for lunch. If you and your bride like this kind of thing then do it, but be prepared for this.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this Itinerary too crowded?

Hi Karl,

Thanks for your quick response!

We are still debating whether or not to visit the Hadzabe; I think it would be very intriguing, but at the same time it could get too much for us.. we are very much into watching and engaging in cultural ceremonies.

We could stay longer in serengeti in exchange for Manyara, if that's what you are recommending.

Does anyone else have any input?

p.s I am the bride..

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this Itinerary too crowded?

That's going to be a long day of driving from Tarangire to the Serengeti.

And, then only 1/day here? Too short, even if the migration isn't around. Area deserves at least 2/full days.

Smoother routing, if not flying, would be:

Day 1 - Drive to Tarangire - o/n

Day 2 - Drive to Ngorongoro; afternoon crater tour - o/n

Day 3 - Drive to Serengeti - o/n

Day 4 - Serengeti - o/n

Day 5 - Drive to Manyara - o/n

Day 6 - Drive to Arusha

As Karl mentions, not everyone enjoys the Hadzabe hunting, but more importantly, its a long dusty ride on very bumpy road.

USA - Tanzania...
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this Itinerary too crowded?

Botenika

Wow, this is one of the worst itineraries I have seen in a long time!

Please tell us which outfitter/company proposed this. They are clueless and should be avoided!

It is your honeymoon and you will spend most of the time driving (and fast too). The rest of the time you will be pitching and breaking down camp! Very little time for game viewing.

In Tarangire, try to camp for 2 nights INSIDE the park. Paradise is 30 minutes outside.

Then Eyasi and overnight there.

Do the bushmen early in the morning and continue to Ngorongoro for 2 nights (2 is better so you can hike the highlands, Olmoti, visit the non-touristy Maasai, and get some rest)

Visit Manyara on the way back to Arusha

Or you can skip Eyasi and do one night in Ngorongoro and two nights camping at Seronera.

Either way will be better!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this Itinerary too crowded?

Hi all,

You've got me really worried here...

I can't figure out what itinerary will be best!

I contacted our guide (private- we heard a few recommendations about him from an Israeli site similar to the tripadvisor) who said the plan is perfect...

Does this plan make more sense?

02.08 tarangire national park dinner overnight at

paradise resort camp.

03.08 ngorongoro crater for game drive dinner overnight at ngorongoro serena lodge

04.08 eyasi + Hadzabe tribes (maybe drive to serengeti and sleep there? or at kisimangeda tented lodge at eyasi)

05.08 serengeti all day overnight at seronera

06.08 serengeti and back to arusha

These are the places I want to fit in. Can you please tell me the most logical way to do this?

Thanks for your help!

USA - Tanzania...
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this Itinerary too crowded?

If your guide says his itinerary is perfect then I think he has never done it himself! Personally, I would tell him thanks, but no thanks.

Please contact a few of the companies mentioned on TripAdvisor for better options!

Do you understand what you are getting? You will share a landcruiser/rover with the guide and a cook. All your tents and food will be loaded in the car an on top including charcoal! So when you stand up your views will be restricted assuming the roof can open with everything on top.

On day 2, when you arrive at Tarangire you must continue on to Paradise Camp (30 minutes) to unload your car and the cook. Hopefully the cook will pitch your tent but do not depend on it if he gets paid very little. Then back to the park so you lost at least 90 minutes. It will be mid-day when you enter the park when it is hot and most animals will be resting under trees in the shade.

The next morning you have to load the car with a long drive ahead. So you probably won't go back into the park. One afternoon in Tarangire is really not worth the effort.

And so it goes at every camping stop.

I suggest to forego the camping. I assume you have a smallish budget?

2 nights Tarangire - stay inside the park at Tarangire Safari Lodge or just outside at Tarangire River Camp.

1 night at Lake Eyasi - arrive in the afternoon at Kisima or Tindiga (cheaper) and do the hunt with the Hadzabe in the early AM the next day when the men are more active. Later in day you may find them in camp smoking stuff so the visit can be depressing for some visitors especially when looking at the condition of the kids.

1 night Ngorongoro Sopa (a bit cheaper than Serena) - visit Crater in PM and next day hike to Olmoti or Empakaai and visit the non-touristy Maasai in the area before returning to Arusha (via Manyara if you do not like hiking and skip Olmoti).

Houston
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this Itinerary too crowded?

I am exhausted imagining the packing and moving. Eben is right. If you can get in a lodge, you will enjoy your honeymoon a lot better.

And if you do make it to Serengeti, fly if possible -the price will be well worth it as you will be more relaxed.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this Itinerary too crowded?

Hey Ya'll,

Thanks for your inputs, I really appreciate it.

About switching a guide- no can do, we already paid him a deposit.

However, we can change the itinerary completely.

From what I understand from you guys, we tried to fit too much in. Our guide was passive and just answered "yes" to our suggestions, which were ignorant and senseless. I guess it is up to me to suggest a better itinerary.

How's this one:

Day 1: Arusha to Ngorongoro

overnight at the Lodge.

Day 2: Serengeti National Park .

Day 3: Serengeti

Day 4: en route to Lake Manyara National Park for

overnight at the Camp.

Day 5: AM- Lake Manyara National Park until afternoon hours, then back to Arusha for your next

destination.

I know you said Tarangire is really good this time of year, but from my understanding, in 5 days, we would have to choose between Serengeti and Tarangire.

If you have any other suggestions for a 5 day 4 night itinerary I'm very open to suggestions, even if they are completely different.

I want to stress how thankful I am for your imput! You guys are saving our honeymoon!!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this Itinerary too crowded?

just want to mention again that our trip is scheduled for this coming August 02-06 (4 nights)