We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari driver/guides - are they armed?

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
98 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Safari driver/guides - are they armed?

I've arranged a 6 day private safari in Northern Tanzania in early September, followed by a few days at Breezes in Zanzibar. I happened to ask the tour operator if the driver/guide carries a gun and she said she didn't think so, from what she could remember - I was quite surprised. Can anybody enlighten me on this - I'm rather apprehensive.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari driver/guides - are they armed?

Hi Beachbabe.

Driver guides are not armed. Quite simply you/they/anybody (except Rangers)is not allowed in National Parks with a firearm of any sort.

No need to be apprehensive at all. What are you expecting him/her to shoot at? The lions don't carry guns either!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,537 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari driver/guides - are they armed?

"didn't think so"

when was the last time your tour operator has been on safari?

mfuwe is right on.

why would driver/guide need a weapon?

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
3,755 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari driver/guides - are they armed?

Driver/guides are not armed. If you're going on a walking safari at any point, you'll probably be accompanied by an armed ranger. What are you apprehensive about?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari driver/guides - are they armed?

beachbabe

Tanzanian is one of the most peaceful african countries with strict firearm regulations by the way.

I agree with Sandi on this one if your tour operator cant answer such a simple question as that maybe you will end up in Zimbabwe on safari instead of Tanzania.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari driver/guides - are they armed?

You will not need an armed driver guide. I would suggest that you get a local tour operator; they would know the answer to this and other questions you might have. Visit the member page of www.tatotz.com and you will find a lot of knowledgeable local operators, and your unknowing tour operator will be using one of these anyways; so cut out the middle person and go directly to the source.

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
98 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari driver/guides - are they armed?

Hi, guys

Thanks for your responses - guess it must have seemed like a stupid question - I was thinking about vehicles being charged/attacked by predators. When you haven't been on safari before, you do imagine all sorts....

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari driver/guides - are they armed?

If you are charged by a predator you will be protected by the vehicle. The driver/guide will keep you safe and not let anything get that close, if it is dangerous. The worst that could happen would be that you would be charged by an elephant, then your vehicle would offer little protection if they were angry. I've had that happen several times and the driver/guide quickly moves away from them.

There is no stupid question, especially if you've never been there and done that. Don't let this keep you from asking more questions; that's how one learns.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari driver/guides - are they armed?

Beachbabe.

Far from being charged by Cats, the big problem is that they either ignore you totally and slumber on or run away so all you get are photos of cats bums!

Most ellies are very well mannered and as long as you let them dictate the terms of the encounter they will not care a bit. But your driver is well skilled in reading the signs and he will not put you, or himself, in any danger. If you do get a close encounter, count yourself very lucky, relax, use your camera and leave it to your driver. He knows what he is doing.

Isle of Man
Level Contributor
98 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safari driver/guides - are they armed?

Thanks again, guys - I feel more reassured now!

10. Re: Safari driver/guides - are they armed?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 11:20