We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to spend 9 nights on safari??? Starting from scratch!

usa
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Topic
Where to spend 9 nights on safari??? Starting from scratch!

I have nine full nights to cover the Northern Circuit. What parks, what camps, how many nights???

If you were building a safari from scratch where would you stay? Our preference would be tent style accommodations when available so we can hear the sounds at night. Away from the crowds if possible. Early July will be the time frame. Am willing to spend up to $9000 for two people. Not opposed to flying in or out.

Any suggestions and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Connor.

c2watkins
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to spend 9 nights on safari??? Starting from scratch!

Hi Connor,

I would suggest sending your inquiry to a few safari companies (there are some great recommendations on here) with your budget and the type of thing you are looking for and they will come back with some suggested itineraies. You can then research the places and tailor accordingly. You should get something good for $9000 in fact you probably won't need all that for a tent style safari.

Hope this helps

Carolyn

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to spend 9 nights on safari??? Starting from scratch!

Connor... You should be able to do a 9 day safari easily within the $4,500 each. In July I would suggest going to Tarangire for a day or two. In July the large herds of elephants should have returned there and this is a really good park to spend a couple of days at. Then you will need to go to Ngorongoro Crater for a day or two. You will see so many animals in the crater, you can hardly turn your head without seeing animals; and these are all within the small area of the crater. Then I would spend the remainder of my time in the Serengeti, probably the Central, Northern, and Western areas. The migration of over 1 million animals will be in the Serengeti at that time (or at least they should be according to the weather); but you should also get to the other areas of the Serengeti also because there are many resident animals in the Serengeti.

I won't comment on accommodations as everyone is different on that. If you want to do an all camping safari you can do that, and perhaps sprinkle in a few stops at lodges to make things more then comfortable then this may be to your liking. You will sleep in tents, they will take a cook along to fix all your meals and you could stay in the more upscale camping grounds where the facilities are better. You would probably get quotes in the $200 range per person per day for this kind of a safari; and you will most probably hear the animals at night.

Go to the member page on www.tatotz.com and you will find a lot of safari operators, choose several and send them the requirements (all the same reqt's) for your safari and they will provide you with a quote. You will also find recommendations on this forum for different operators. The safari they will quote you will be all inclusive so that this will be your total cost, except for personal items and the flight over. They will meet you at the airport and be with you for as long as you like after the safari is over.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to spend 9 nights on safari??? Starting from scratch!

Hi

Another option would be to ask for the so called "special camps" thse are designated wilderness areas and must be booked in advance by the tour company.

They must also take in the showers and portable toilets.

But you will certainly be off the beaten track and away from the crowds.

usa
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to spend 9 nights on safari??? Starting from scratch!

Thanks everyone. Karl I appreciate the park recommendations. Achnab I wasn't aware of the "special camps". This sounds very appealing. Where could I find out more about them and the companies that would offer such a thing? Thanks again for the help.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,631 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to spend 9 nights on safari??? Starting from scratch!

Connor,

As you only have nine nights you may consider flying one way. Either in or out of the Serengeti from Arusha at the start of finish. This cuts out half the driving (your operators car will meet you/drop you out there without a problem) You then call at the parks one way only which helps maximise your wildlife viewing time.

This would only add about US$pp to the trip.

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to spend 9 nights on safari??? Starting from scratch!

The company we chose, Good Earth, has a great website, where you click on what country you want to visit - in your case Tanzania and you can click on suggested itineraries, including specific lodges or camps with pricing. It is a good place to start, and they are very willing to customize your tour. The web site is www.goodearthtours.com

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to spend 9 nights on safari??? Starting from scratch!

Connor... A good person to ask about the "special camps" would be achnab at www.basecamptanzania.com

usa
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to spend 9 nights on safari??? Starting from scratch!

Thanks, Karl. I just sent him an email. Are you or anyone else aware of anyone that does semi-luxury camping at the "special" campsites? I would like to get some comparisons.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to spend 9 nights on safari??? Starting from scratch!

Many of the outfitters do semi-lux camp at "private" camp sites. This means an added fee for the site (vs public), but no one else to contend with.

Semi-lux provides a guide/vehicle and cook; both set-up/breakdown the tents, shower and loo tents, separate dining area.

Dublin
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to spend 9 nights on safari??? Starting from scratch!

A lot of tourists dont get to see dar es salaam,because they head straight to the safari camps up north,Dar es salaam have some really lovely beaches,hotels,restaurant and night life and there are so many islands off the coast go to ras kutani,these small islands are secluded and they are so peaceful with silver sands and clear waters...also while in Dar visit masaki,oysterbay,kunduchi beach,msasani if you love the beach,palm trees,silver sands you'd love these places...