We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need to find a way back to Nairobi from Zanzibar!

Toronto
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need to find a way back to Nairobi from Zanzibar!

We are going on our honeymoon in a few weeks (Oct 16) and we have everything booked EXCEPT a way back from Zanzibar to Nairobi. Our flight from Nairobi to London departs at 23:30 that night and we don't want to spend all day in the Nairobi airport. Can anyone suggest the best way to make our way back to Nairobi from Zanzibar? I would like to spend most of the day on Zanzibar if possible.

Thanks!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need to find a way back to Nairobi from Zanzibar!

I think you posted this twice, but I'll answer it twice if necessary. You will need to get a flight, otherwise you will need to leave the day before from Zanzibar. Precision Air, Kenya Air, Zan Air, and perhaps coastal air. Do some googling and you'll find their web sites and some will let you book from the web.

Toronto
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need to find a way back to Nairobi from Zanzibar!

So it wouldn't be possible to leave Zanzibar via ferry, travel to Dar es Salaam and then catch a flight from there? I ask because the latest flight from Zanzibar that I can find is at 4:30pm which means we arrive in Nairobi at 6pm and have to sit in the airport for 5 hours. I am guessing it isn't the most comfortable of airports so I am trying to avoid that at all costs!

Thanks!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need to find a way back to Nairobi from Zanzibar!

You can take a ferry to Dar, then catch a taxi to the airport (could be an hour according to the traffic) and then a flight. That would work, they have flights from there to Nairobi.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,460 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need to find a way back to Nairobi from Zanzibar!

Whether you go by ferry to DAR for flight to NBO or flight direct from ZNZ to NBO, I wouldn't leave it to the last flight out. Last flights have been known to be cancelled.

Admittedly, NBO isn't the nicest airport to be stuck in for 5/hrs, but better early, then not at all.

Besides, the departing flight from DAR or ZNZ will not tag your bags for thru flight to Europe/Canada; you'll have to collect your bags at NBO to recheck when checking in for your 11:30pm departure.

Toronto
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need to find a way back to Nairobi from Zanzibar!

Thanks everyone. So there is a chance that the 4:30pm flight out from Zanzibar to NBO will be cancelled? That is the last flight out of Zanzibar on that day.

Any suggestions of what to do in the NBO airport for 5 hours??

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Need to find a way back to Nairobi from Zanzibar!

Fly:

Zanzibar to Mombasa

Mombasa to Nairobi

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need to find a way back to Nairobi from Zanzibar!

In the International terminal at NBO there are a lot of shops and restaurants, other then that, people watch.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,460 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need to find a way back to Nairobi from Zanzibar!

If 4:30pm is last flight ZNZ/NBO, it might be late, but doubt this one would be cancelled... many paxs are on late evening departures from NBO.

At JKIA, there are shops, one tiny sandwich shop; there's Java House (coffee) at end of terminal gates. Otherwise, as Karl indicates... people watch, read a book, catch some Zzzzzzs (on very uncomfy chairs).

If you can time yourself carefully, you can grab a taxi to nearby Panari Hotel, the Pampas Restaurant for dinner is pretty good (similar to Carnivore in Nairobi center). There's also the Sierra Restaurant not too far from the airport. If you have a Kenya visa this will serve to leave airport and return; if not you'll need Transit Visa $20.

Be sure you're back at airport 2/hrs prior departure for check-in/security. If bags can't be pre-checked for 11:30pm flight, then you take and have restaurant checkroom hold while eating.

9. Re: Need to find a way back to Nairobi from Zanzibar!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 20:25