We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

expert advice please

anywhere
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
expert advice please

Help!

We had a wonderful holiday in Tanzania last year and really want to return to Dar and Ras Kutani. But we do not want to go to a safari camp this time and are looking for a nice option for the rest of our holiday. Are finding tour operators very unimaginitive - they keep telling us to go to kenya instead.

What we are looking for is either some nice inland place (it could be a ranch/ plantation) where the only focus is not game viewing. We dont mind if it is on the edge of a reserve and game viewing is an option - just not sole focus on game viewing. it would be nice to be able to walk around a bit. Other possibilities are a part of the coast with a different feel to Ras Kutani - an island - but NOT Zanzibar, or one of the Lakes. Finally anywhere else that anyone thinks might be interesting.

We like upmarket accomadation and within reason cost is not a problem. We have 2 kids and we have taken them all over the world. We HATE being pointed to so called "family options" - they have happily been to safari camps, intimate lodges etc many times.

Can anyone suggest anywhere we might like?

Mentioned in this post
Ras Kutani
Ras Kutani
272 Reviews
Kutani, Tanzania
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: expert advice please

Kenya makes sense.

Plenty of places in the Great Rift Valley - in/around Lake Nakuru and Naivasha - with lodge emphasis where there's bike riding, horseback, tennis, boat rides to islands for walking safaris.

Or up in the Laikipia area - Sabuk and Loisaba (upmarket and offering discounts for bookings before end-Mar '09) - on private ranches offering "whatever" other than game drives - camel safaris, ATV, horseback, fishing, etc. These properties arrange actitivities to meet guest's wishes and schedule - as busy or relaxed as you want. Village visits that are not commercial. Maybe sleeping out at the "starbeds"

At either location, game drives are available.

From Kenya you can easily fly to DAR and Ras Kutani.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Great Rift Valley
Great Rift Valley
55 Reviews
Turkana District, Kenya
Lake Nakuru
Lake Nakuru
1,258 Reviews
Lake Nakuru National Park, Kenya
Naivasha
Naivasha
Rift Valley Province, Kenya
Dar Es Salaam Intl Airport
Dar Es Salaam Intl...
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Ras Kutani
Ras Kutani
272 Reviews
Kutani, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: expert advice please

I am sure there are 'Homestays' now available which may be of interest. I have not explored this angle but I would imagine that coffee/sisal plantations would fit the bill. There is a place east of Arushi that does Horse riding etc. if this interests you.

If it is just wandering about/hiking then consider the Usumbara Mountains around Lushoto. Some nice Lodges up there where you can go for long walks etc.,

There used to be a firm down at Usa River called Infinite Horizons that would help you. I say 'used' as the website seems to have gone.

contact Steve or Teena on mokomazicamp@yahoo.co.uk and they should assist.

Mentioned in this post
Lushoto
Lushoto
Tanga Region, Tanzania
Usa River
Usa River
Arusha, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: expert advice please

That should be mkomazicamp@yahoo.co.uk

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: expert advice please

Mzungu.... One of the problems which you will encounter will be being away from tourist areas (which I think you are implying you want to do) and like being in upmarket accommodations. Not too many outside the tourist areas. But I will give you several options.

1) You could go to Dodoma (bus or plane) and settle into the Dodoma Hotel which is an old railroad hotel which was recently completely renovated. There are some other upmarket hotels in Dodoma which are typically used by the country's ministers and parliamentarians when they are in town. You might go there and find some "authentic" Tanzanian visiting and culture. Not too many tourists go there. No beach, it's kind of a dust bowl there; but the do have a swimming club (called the Climax Club, don't know where they got this name). You could easily find some things to do for several days there.

2) You could go to Tanga (get there by bus or plane) and stay at the Mkongwe hotel which is a good upmarket hotel and restaurant. They are located right on the ocean, no beach there, but a swimming club right down the street and the yacht club down further. If you're a spelunker they have a large cave there which you could spend some time exploring. Tanga is also close to Lushoto which would be good for a day trip or two to walk about the bush. There is also a resort closeby called Pangani which has a nice beach area and some resorts. Not many go there other then locals. So if you're looking for an out of the way place this may be it. Pangani is about 40km from Tanga.

3) You might visit Mwanza (get there by plane) and they have a couple of very good hotels there, the New Mwanza Hotel or Talapia hotel right on Lake Victoria. I have also stayed at the Kairo Hotel and it's a rather good hotel but a bit downscaled, and I've stayed at the Tunza Lodge which is a beach hotel with huts located close to the beach. There's a bunch of things to do there, including some museums of the Sukuma tribe, water things on Lake Victoria, and you are very close to the Western gates of the Serengeti. Mwanza has very unusual rock formations which makes for interesting viewing.

I could probably come up with many more out of the way places but this will give you a start.

Mentioned in this post
Dodoma
Dodoma
Dodoma Region, Tanzania
Tanga
Tanga
Tanga Region, Tanzania
Lushoto
Lushoto
Tanga Region, Tanzania
Pangani
Pangani
Tanga Region, Tanzania
Mwanza
Mwanza
Mwanza Region, Tanzania
Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: expert advice please

Mzungu!

I think you've described this:

www.tanzaniasafaris.info/Highlands/intro.htm

or this:

www.saadanilodge.com

And lastly, you said you don't want one of the lakes, but are you sure? How about this (more $$$):

http://greystoke-mahale.com/

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
2,314 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: expert advice please

Hi Or this www.ndarakwai.com

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: expert advice please

Very nice and I am not even the OP.

Achnab wins on points. The Ellies did it for me.

Quality over quantity. Shame they are all so coy over prices.

anywhere
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: expert advice please

Thanks for this

We are currently considering the Tanga option. Lushoto also sounds good - but our tour operator seems to be saying that it is a days drive or more from Tanga and that we may have to fly from Lushoto back to the beach resorts at Pangani. is this correct?

As an alternative we are also condidering mufindi which is in the Highlands. How chilly is it likely to be in August and would it be dry?

Your input is much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Tanga
Tanga
Tanga Region, Tanzania
Lushoto
Lushoto
Tanga Region, Tanzania
Pangani
Pangani
Tanga Region, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: expert advice please

I do not know who your Tour Operator is (hopefully not one of the contributors on here!)

It takes just over two hours to drive from Tanga to Lushoto (and there ain't no airstrip to use anyway as far as I am aware.) It is not much more than 100 miles with the last 20 or so stunningly beautiful. I am sure Karl will confirm this as he passes that way more often than I.

I have re-read your note about type of accommodation and there are not many upmarket Lodges up there BUT there are some very homely places. I have only stayed at Muller's Mountain Lodge but others include Grant's Lodge and Swiss Cottage Farm. But do be aware these places are NOT all singing and dancing Ritz type places.

Mentioned in this post
Tanga
Tanga
Tanga Region, Tanzania
Lushoto
Lushoto
Tanga Region, Tanzania
London
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: expert advice please

Mufindi highland lodge is really wonderful, another foxes place is lazy lagoon also really nice. as to other islands, have you looked at Mafia? Ras Mbisi or Chole Mjini would seem to fit your criteria

Mentioned in this post
Mafia Island
Mafia Island
Pwani Region, Tanzania