We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

want to climb mount Kilimanjaro. Any advice?

Toronto
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
want to climb mount Kilimanjaro. Any advice?

Hello,

We're interested in climbing mount Kilimanjaro. Looking for information on economical ways of doing it. Does anyone have advice? Also, any advice from people who have sumitted?

Thank you!

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: want to climb mount Kilimanjaro. Any advice?

Hi

Do it before 2006 because the prices are going to double !

Apart from that really the cheapest way is to book direct with a local operator, you can find a list of reputable operators in the "TATO" site, take time to acclimatise dont rush 6 days is the best more if possible.

Good luck to the peak !

6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: want to climb mount Kilimanjaro. Any advice?

We climbed it in 2003. We used Africa Travel Resource who were fantastic. Excellent guides etc. They were midranged price any equipment which you might need they can provide (eg duvet jackets, sleeping bags, sleeping mats etc).

We did the Rongai route which I would recommend any day over the Merangu route, or coca cola route. It is much less busy, our group was the only group going up and so it really felt special and unique. It is camp sites all the way up as oppposed to the Merangu route where it is dormitaries where however many hundreds of people have slept in your bunk previously. We came down part of the Merangu route on the last day and we passed what was almost a constant stream of people on their way up.

You do need to take your time on the way up as you need to acclimatise. If you give yourself the chance to acclimatise you are less likely to get altitude sickness and more likely to make it to the summit.

The whole climb is fine ... apart from the summit attempt which is truly hard and horrible! You leave at midnight then spend the next 5-6 hours zigzagging up the the summit walking on shale, so every two steps forward it is one step back. It is freezing cold and your water freezes. It is mind over matter though. You reach the first summit point - where you get a green certificate awarded at the gate - in time for sunrise - but you really don't care. You then have the choice of an extra hour and a half walk to the ultimate summit - where you get a gold certificate awarded at the gate. This part is much easier although still very slow going. You get to the summit point, have your photo taken at the wooden sign then head back down after a few minutes. Going down is much easier as you scree run down the shingle, so what took you 6 hours to climb up, takes about 1 hour down.

The summit attempt is extremely hard (in my opinion) - my husband had altitude sickness but managed to carry on, our guides took great care of him and were very mindful. If you want to do a more economical climb, you should be careful as you don't want to save money to sacrifice safety. There was one man who was suffering severe altitude sickness and his guides were no where to be seen as the group was so large - we understand that he was lucky to make it.

It was very hard, but at the end of the day I can say I climbed Kilimanjaro which is amazing. I would really recommend it.

Dar es Salaam
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: want to climb mount Kilimanjaro. Any advice?

Hello

This is probably way late, but it may help others.

I have climbed Kilimanjaro 6 times already and continue doing so. If anyone has any concerns or questions and need advice, I can be contacted on aa@cats-net.com

All the best for your expeditions everyone.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: want to climb mount Kilimanjaro. Any advice?

I would definately obtain a guide before arrival. You may get cheaper prices upon arrival but I know of more than 1 rip off where a guide someone hired on the spot abandonded them near the summit to fend for themselves. His reason - said he didn't have the correct shoes!! Another guide from another company was kind enough to look after them and get them safely back down. But not before the wife became deathy ill with altitude sickness and almost died. Be sure the guide you choose is certified in mountain climbing, has experience and the equipment you need and the equipment is in good working order. Friends of mine have used Mountsafaris and they had the best rates for a 6 day climb. Their guide Jeremiah has been to the summit over 12 times and is certified.