We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Drive through Tanzania: Petrol prices

United States
Level Contributor
27 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
Self Drive through Tanzania: Petrol prices

Several of us are planning to drive from South Africa to Tanzania and throughout.

We have recently been told that if we are alone and not associated with a local tour, we will pay outrageous petrol prices, pushed up to several times what the local tour operators are being charged.

Is this true or a myth?

Thank you, Nancy & Wim

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Drive through Tanzania: Petrol prices

Huh? Sounds like a myth to me. Most places should have the price posted. Petrol is one of the few things in Tanzania where the price is crystal clear. But if someone told you this, follow up on it and see where it came from. Anything is possible.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Drive through Tanzania: Petrol prices

Nancy or Win.... I don't think so. As in most places the prices are posted on the pumps and you are charged accordingly. The only places where this might be possible would be if you needed to get some fuel when you were in a very small village. I've had to get fuel in a small village and they had it in a barrel and put it in a bucket for me to transfer to my vehicle, and we just agreed upon a price. Didn't have any choice but the price was fair.

Having said all that, diesel and petrol prices are rather high in Tanzania. I've been ill and haven't been in Tz for quite a while now, the last time I was there petrol was about 1,200 TSH and I would guess that by now it would be close to 1,400 TSH per liter, at 1,325 TSH = $1.

I think you heard an urban legend.

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Drive through Tanzania: Petrol prices

I have self drived many times in Tanzania and that is BS. The East African companies often tell tall tales in order to get you to sign up with a tour.

Twin Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
718 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Drive through Tanzania: Petrol prices

total myth! ok I don't know about outside of east africa but petrol stations are the one place where you know you are paying the same as everyone else. The price is posted and you get an actual printed out official looking receipt:) It will be more expensive out in the bush compared to larger towns-thats the same deal everywhere though.

5. Re: Self Drive through Tanzania: Petrol prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 06:21