We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please for vaccinations

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Help please for vaccinations

Hi:

We went to a travel clinic today and after waiting an hour for the nurse (the appointment was at noon and the nurses actually go for lunch then...) the following vaccinations were advised, along with exorbitant prices:

Yellow Fever-$93

Typhoid-$44

Boosters for Diptheria, and Polio- only $5 each

Hepititis A- $55 (we don't need B, already immunized)

Meningitis-$160

Dukoral (cholera)- $100

the CDC site only mentions YF, Heps, and Typhoid, no mention of Meningitis (which is mentionned in Henry Stedman's Kilimanjaro book) nor cholera.

We won't be going to Zanzibar. We will be going to Manyara, Taragire, Ngorongoro, Mt. Meru and Kili.

The question is: Do we need the meningitis and cholera???

One more question, any other vaccinations needed (I'm not talking about anti-malarials here, just vaccinations for the moment)? The CDC site mentions a measles outbreak.

As always, thanks in advance, you guys and gals are great.

Kay

nyc
Level Contributor
14,921 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please for vaccinations

I'm no doctor, but have seen how travel clinics go way overboard, indicating travelers need everything. Whatever the book says they say are musts.

The only inocs I've had over the years and boosters when necessary: Tetanus (that DPT jab 3-in-1), Hep-A, and Polio Booster. The first two last 10/years, the last (as an adult) for the rest of one's life.

Over the years, my doc has given me a script for Thyphoid tabs, but bad patient me.... have never filled or taken them.

And, in the States, I don't even believe Dukoral is available (so nothing for cholera;; whatever was previously available wasn't even effective).

Of course, you require the YF jab which is now required for entry to Tanzania from Kenya and other African countries.... also to Kenya from Tanzania and other African countries.

If you were heading to East Africa for work in the Peace Corp or an NGO, refugee camps or other living in and with locals, then yes... jab, jab, jab away. As a tourist, visiting traditional stops, it's a bit overkill.

Up to you to decide.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please for vaccinations

Thanks 4Sandi,

We weren't expecting to pay over $400 in vaccinations. I've found another place that seems way more reasonable and made an appointment there. We were lucky in that we were supposed to pay $30 each for the nursing consult, but because of the delay they waived that fee, since we didn't get any vaccinations. We only chose that place since it was 5 minutes from my husband's work and we figured he could go over his 1.5 hour lunch break. Wrong!! Anyways there are lots of other clinics to choose from.

Kay

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,982 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please for vaccinations

If you were going to be drinking infected water in a region with a cholera outbreak (eg Zimbabwe), I could see the need for the cholera jab...

I think they have to justify to you why the jabs are necessary.

But then, I'm no medic.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please for vaccinations

Just my opinion: When seeking medical advise always make sure you talk to doctors. I could see listening to non-doctors to help inform your decision.... but....

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please for vaccinations

I'm planning to seek advice from doctors, I just want to know what vaccinations others have gotten, since the place I went to seems like a rip-off,

Kay

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
763 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please for vaccinations

Hi Kay

OK Im not a Dr. but I almost have my PhD lol sorry-Ive been wanting to say that:)

Seriously though- Typhoid and Cholera are more Kenya/Zanzibar issues-clinics tend to lump africa all together-its like saying beware of Haunta virus on a trip to Miami. If you are traveling during rains-flooding is what drives those things so you may want to consider-otherwise those will be up to you and if you are the type who worries about stuff-then I would say get them.

Meningitis is good just to have in general but if you are staying away from Victoria area then Meningitis isnt a concern.

Shop around-I got my rabies vaccination-which you dont need although Ive heard clinics recommend it!- starting in Tanzania...last 2 shots were in the US-one in PA cost 1,500-one in NJ cost $500-that's a big difference and you can find differences like that even in the same town.

You mention Kili/Meru-if you are climbing get some altitude pills-even if you dont use them-they are better to have then wish you had!

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please for vaccinations

Thanks Serval girl, advice from a soon to be doctor (!!), probably beats advice from the nurse I had today. She never asked where in Tanzania I would be going, just if it was rural or cities. Clinic #2 should be better.

Kay

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please for vaccinations

Good advice on here. I wonder that clinic did not suggest Rabies, Berri Berri, Frostbite and Housemaids Knee too. I would not buy anything from an outfit that has not even got the wit to keep an appointment.

As others have said, you are a tourist and not one for prolonged exposure as an Ex Pat would be.

I have survived for years on DPT, YF (obligatory)and 'Viatim' which is HepA/Typhoid combined.

Moral. See your local doctor not some 'professional clinic.'

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please for vaccinations

I'm so "under jabbed" it is not funny.. I worked many years in the medical industry (not a Dr but taught many) and just hate rip-off travel medical centres.

I've had jabs for the following

Hep B (then when booster was needed, got the combined done)

Yellow Fever cost me 15 pounds

Typhoid

Dip and Polio

And that is all. There should be a travel doctor expert some where in your area, if not look on line and ask what do you need, what else I should take if I might step out of these areas and can you recommend a place to get this done.

My mum found that the local GP/ chemist was cheaper then the travel centres.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,921 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help please for vaccinations

Posters on TA can have a variety of health systems or private plans or no coverage.

While a general/personal physician may be able to provide some inocs for no fee but an office visit co-pay, others may assess a charge for each individual inoc.

It's a matter of shopping around.