We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laundry in Tanzania

Mt. Pleasant, MI
7 posts
Save Topic
Laundry in Tanzania

I will be travelling for a few weeks on a tight budget. It would be nice not to pack too many clothes. How common are coin laundries or cheap laundry services? Anything I should be aware of in this regard? Thank you!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laundry in Tanzania

Coin laundries are pretty much not seen in these parts. Think of seeing a black rhino.. And you have it in one.

In Arusha: There is a laundry on the corner of Golondoi and Uhuro (nextdoor to the Kibo Buero) Rds. Uhuro Rd is off the clock tower round about.

There is one on Benjamine street. And then there is also one (virgins) down at the Shoprite complex.

Wash and go I say when I travel. Buy one of those handy travel washing lines (buy some washing liquid soap and a very secure bottle to put it in) and make sure you bring a couple of plastic bags with you.. for dirty clothes, and also if you have to leave early in the AM and your clothes are not dry.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laundry in Tanzania

I thought it was only White Rhino that did laundry, hence the name?

I agree that wash and go in the sink/bath of your lodgings caters for most of my requirements. One on your back, one in the wash and one spare does it.

Sun is so warm drying is not a usually problem. When it gets 'too bad' a night in a reasonable lodging and a word with the host will get results for a few TZSh.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laundry in Tanzania

If you are staying at hotels or lodges they will do your laundry and the cost is not all that much. If you get it in early morning they will get it back to you by late afternoon (if it was a good drying day). Also make certain of the rates on the days that you are sending your laundry out, on Sundays and holidays it costs double or triple at some places.

If you're staying at a camp site then there's always someone around who would want to make a few shillings to do your laundry, ask around.

I always just take a few clothes and use the laundry services of the hotels.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
517 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laundry in Tanzania

I found using laundry services at hotels/campsites expensive as a lot seemed to charge by the item. It adds up. You might be better off hand washing if you're on a tight budget.

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Laundry in Tanzania

Ballu..

I agree. A load of laundry can quickly add up to $30 or more. Each piece is $1-$2.

I threw some clothes in the bath tub, added some detergent, and then took them with me in the jeep to dry while we were on safari! No kidding. Since it was only my husband and I, there was plenty of room to drape the clothes in the back seat. The hot sun dried it all!

Yes, it was a little strange, but because we were moving from place to place each day, I didnt have time to send the items out to be laundered (at the lodge).

6. Re: Laundry in Tanzania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2009, 05:16