We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Earth Tours reviews legitimate?

Washington, DC
2 posts
Save Topic
Good Earth Tours reviews legitimate?

Hi all! I've been scouring these boards for a while collecting as many tips and recommendations as possible for my March 2010 honeymoon safari in Tanzania. I've seen a lot of good things about Good Earth Tours...but I recently read a post on Tanzanian tour operators (not on TripAdvisor) alluding to Good Earth Tours offering incentives for good reviews. Can anyone confirm this? (Or deny it?) I have put a lot of faith in TripAdvisor reviews -- and everyone seems so candid on these forums -- so I would hate to think the research I've done on here has been a waste. Any information you might have in this regard would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Good Earth Tours
Good Earth Tours
273 Reviews
Arusha, Tanzania
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,165 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Earth Tours reviews legitimate?

Has the person who made that accusation on the other forum any proof, or is it just "...and everyone knows xxx operator gives kick backs for good reviews...."? Does the person say they were offered incentives, or is it just hearsay; idle chatter on the internet?

I'd be very sceptical of a casual post on a forum unless you know the poster's background.

I don't know of Good Earth, but I have seen unthinking and malicious posts. EG - One person said he'd heard on holiday that a well-known UK company was going bust. It was utter rubbish, but the audience reading that post didn't know that.

In general, I'd be very wary of reviews from one-time posters. They join Tripadvisor, post a review, and are never seen again. So there is no way of understanding their background or experience or expectations.

Mentioned in this post
Good Earth Tours
Good Earth Tours
273 Reviews
Arusha, Tanzania
Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,149 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Earth Tours reviews legitimate?

I have seen lots of reviews for Good Earth on the Fodors forums as well.

Excellent advice on the one post wonders. I also watch out for the people with 12 posts and all of them tout the same company. Especially when the posts are in response to a question about an entirely different company. Once you are ready to get quotes from some companies ask them for references. Even better, if the references are from your area.

The only experience I had with Good Earth was when I was trying to get a quote from them. The man that answered the phone and provided the quote did not seem very interested in customizing an itinerary for us, and kept referring to the canned itineraries on their website. I figured that if he was not that helpful with my itinerary, then he probably wouldn't be so helpful when I had questions before my trip as well. Maybe I caught him on a bad day and hopefully you will not get the same response.

Mentioned in this post
Good Earth Tours
Good Earth Tours
273 Reviews
Arusha, Tanzania
Washington, DC
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Earth Tours reviews legitimate?

Unfortunately it was just something I saw in passing at a time when I was leaning toward using another tour operator (who has since appeared to have dropped off the face of the Earth) so I didn't investigate further at the time...and of course now I can't find it again. But it was a general 'watch out for some tour operators who offer discounts/bribes/etc [not quoting verbatim here] in exchange for good reviews...just ask [so-and-so] about his experience with Good Earth Tours.' Like I said, it was simply an allusion, so I was hoping to come up with something a little more substantive (hopefully from someone who has booked with them, though I do appreciate all input) before drawing any conclusions.

Mentioned in this post
Good Earth Tours
Good Earth Tours
273 Reviews
Arusha, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,397 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Earth Tours reviews legitimate?

I know nothing about your specific allegation but sadly the tecnique you mention is becoming more prevalent as TA reputation grows. I do know of specific instances of Hotels etc., actually handing out "Get an Upgrade for a good review" leaflets on check In.

We have seen several instances of flycatching on this very forum and the incidence is growing.

I would have thought them easier enough to spot but then who knows, the art of a good con is to look normal.

As Peter says, how reliable is your source? As a practice it needs stamping on hard so the more info you can send in the better.

los angeles
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Earth Tours reviews legitimate?

i actually have very good things to say about good earth tours, especially because our guide (raphael) was awesome. no one has offered me any incentives or even asked me to write a review...

we actually requested raphael to be our guide because we saw so many good reviews about him on tripadvisor. when i told him that, he didn't even know what tripadvisor was. i'm sure the US office (based in Florida) knows about tripadvisor but they haven't approached me to post a review.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
262 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Earth Tours reviews legitimate?

Good Earth has gotten good reviews but was a little high on their quotation on our last trip.

Go to the Fodor's forum and you can read an extensive report that has been put together by a member that has a great number of the reviews posted in one long thread.

Makes for choosing a operator/outfitter a little easier in the long run.

Good luck.

7. Re: Good Earth Tours reviews legitimate?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2009, 05:31