We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visas

london
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visas

Hi I plan on doing an overland trip with a tour company which starts in Kenya. The trip will then travel to Uganda and from there we will go on the gorilla trek which would probably be in Rwanda and will return back to Kenya. This will take a total of 14 days. The second part of the tour will be from Kenya to Tanzania and also visit Zanzibar before finishing in Dar Es Salaam. This part will take 10 days. My question is regarding visas and how much space i require in my passport as I only have a few pages left. I know the general rule is to allow 1 page per country but realistically if a stamp is relatively small does it really require so much space? If anyone can help me out with any advice that would be great. i would also like to hear of any problems people may have come across regarding their visas at border crossings.

Regards,

Ricky

Tanzania Expeditions
Climbing Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Waterbuck Safaris
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Greg Adventures
Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,527 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visas

It is not the stamp that is the problem. Kenya have taken to issuing Visas as a full page sticky. Then staml the dates on another page just for fun.

I got a similar sticky in Entebbe two years ago but not this year so I cannot fathom that. Rwanda is, or was, just a stamp.

I would not risk going on this trip without a minimum of six free pages. Africans are quite obliging and friendly and will do their bit to find room but 'Jobsworths' are not confined to a white skin.

You may hit trouble so it is not worth the risk of being denied entry for such a trivial thing. The folks at the land borders (Cyanika for Rwanda/Uganda) are much more obliging but the rub is you will need TWO Ugandan Visas. One in Entebbe and another to get back in after Rwanda.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visas

No trouble getting visas at the borders; however, if you don't have enough pages to put the visa in then you probably will. It's not worth the risk of being turned back (especially on a tour where you have no choice but to continue). Get the extra pages in your passport before you leave.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visas

Kenya and there big sticker thing does my head in. I also have the wonderful Tz Res visa. And everytime I go to Kenya, I need a new one of these "lovely" stickers and another $US50.. just because I am a res of Tanzania (Arrrghh!!)

So..think one big sticker for Kenya with and entry (x 2) and exit (x2). Then you have Uganda (there in 4 in total) then Rwanda(4 as well) then.. ohh back to Kenya. Then Tanzania for your photo and stamp on the namanga boarder. And then.. and other stamp or two for entry onto Zanzibar!!

So I would highly reccommend to get a new passport, as not too sure if they still do the add on pages.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,527 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visas

Not too sure you are right there Kyme. Should be Ok for one sticky in Kenya for Multiple entry. Uganda you will need two. TZ only one and no photos needed at Namamga. Don't think anything at ZNZ as TZ Visa covers the whole country. Happy to be corrected on this but I still would not come with less than six clear pages.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visas

Sorry photo I mean through those super techno cameras.. and then a scan of your passport. Not an actual photo given.

For Kenya you do get one big posta kind of stamp, then you have your entry triangle. When she heads into Uganda there will be and exit from Kenya..

Uganda is just two stamps in and then one out when she heads to Rwanda.

Rwanda is two stamps in. And then she will have her exit stamp.

Then entry to Uganda (stamp in then a stamp out) and then back to Kenya (stamp in, stamp out).

Tanzania stamp in (they are cutting back on paperwork so no more depature cards and the entry is a small peice of white paper)

On Zanzibar they have a stamp there also (why.. I have no idea, but i do have it).

So ruffle: Stamp like postage stamp (4cm x3cm) and 4 ink stamps for Kenya

5 ink stamps for Uganda

2 for Rwanda

2 for Tanzania/ Zanzibar

When you get to Kenya now, the entry viza is $US25 for all countries (don't know about the USA's and Irish). And most parks now have dropped their prices. So watch your prices when you are paying int the kitty or when you book your extra packages with your tour.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visas

When you have a Res visa, you have to get a stamp sticker thing everytime you enter Kenya. There is no multipul entry for Residents of Tz, unless you go into Kenya commision in Nairobi or Dar and buy your multipul entry there ($US51).

So $US50 each time I enter as I always seem to enter and then end up shopping and drinking :)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,527 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visas

Kenyan sticky. Er not 4cm x 3cm. 4 inches (105mm) x 3in. (75mm.)

that's a page gone.

I did not get one in Uganda this last trip Dec 2008 but I did get one the time before. I would allow space for it but they are friendly folk and I don't think you would be turned away simply cos they could not find a page. Ink stamps are different, although again at Cyanika I did get a stamp on a piece of Notebook as I going to be there ahead of opening time later in the week.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visas

Ricky should be sufficiently confused by now.

bottom line is - get more pages in your passport; or take the risk. It's up to you.

london
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Visas

Thanks everyone for your advice. The general consensus is to renew my passport.

This is something which I would like to avoid but probably necessary. I guess the main reason being that my Australian passport is still valid for a few years and I am in the process of getting British citizenship and therefore a passport but this won't be done in time for the trip. My Australian passport has the first 2 full pages blank at the front and 1 blank at the back (ie. 1 page blank between 2 as the edges have stamps but the centre part is clear), there are also some corners free throughout the rest of the passport. It would be good if I can do this trip on this one but its probably too risky.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,527 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visas

One Blank will go for Kenya at the airport that is certain. You may get another sticky for Uganda or may not. I assume all crossings are at land frontiers apart from the first landing at NBO?

In your circs, if the assumptions are correct you could do it. There was talk of Kenya, Uganda and TZ doing a 'common travel area' Visa but not sure if it is up and running yet.

I still think it would be wise not to risk being denied entry but I do think that is unlikely.