We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have any tour companies closed their business?

EPT
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
157 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Have any tour companies closed their business?

I've been planning a trip to Tanzania for quite a while and if you asked me a year ago I was certain that I would book the safari through an Tanzanian tour company. But due to the financial crisis I have become more reluctant about handing my money over to a company which I have no guarantee will be there in near future.

If i book through one of the companies in Norway, and I have found one that have first hand knowledge about Tanzania, I am guaranteed that I won't lose my money if the company files for bankruptcy.

I know about Tatotz and have an idea of which companies that are "safe" to use. But my question is how is the safari industry doing? And have any companies closed their business due to the economical situation?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,915 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Have any tour companies closed their business?

For as many companies that may have closed in Tanzania, another opens (almost daily). For sure I'd make certain whomever I was dealing with in-country had a long track record.

That said, however, if you feel more comfortable working with a company in your home country... then do so.

Whichever you choose, don't put off your safari.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have any tour companies closed their business?

I don't know of any. Perhaps Achnab will jump on here and tell us if anyone has been forced out of business due to the economic crunch. He would know.

I know that they just had a big travel show in Arusha a couple of weeks ago, and from the information that I received it was rather well attended.

You might also try sending an e-mail to TATO and ask them this question.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have any tour companies closed their business?

If you are worried about losing your cash then perhaps dealing direct is not for you.

It is a trade off between 'absolute' security and considerable cost savings.

I would doubt that any company in Norway or anywhere would have the first hand expertise that you will find with a local firm in Arusha most of whom have been in the busines many years and are thriving.

My advice would be for you to pick five from recommendations on here and ask for a quote, like for like, for what you want to do. Judge how good the responses are as well as just comparing the bottom line price.

Go with the one you are comfortable with and ask for references from satisfied clients.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Have any tour companies closed their business?

Hi

I have not heard that any have closed, some of the larger company who rely more on US clients are eperiencing a dowfall in clients and laying off workers, the smaller companys which have more of a mixtures of clientle are doing ok (as far as i can tell from my office :-)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have any tour companies closed their business?

Good to hear that Achnab. How I wish that those bigger firms and the falling demand would stop those price rises we are all sufffering. Better to shade margins than lose good staff in my book.

6. Re: Have any tour companies closed their business?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 July 2009, 13:44
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have any tour companies closed their business?

Thanks Achnab. I thought this would be something which someone on the ground there would know.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have any tour companies closed their business?

A few companies have also been selling their cars.

EPT
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
157 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have any tour companies closed their business?

Thanks for all of you taking the time to answer my questions :).

mfuwe: I've already singled out some of the companies from both here on TA and also Fodors. I usually handle my business directly, but it seems in this case that it isn't much price difference between my Norwegian company and those based in Arusha. But haven't decided yet, what we want to do.

Achnab: you said that the smaller companies are doing ok, but are you saying that you all are having a less demand than before or are you saying that you don't feel any changes?

Thanks again!

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Have any tour companies closed their business?

Hi

We have not noticed a drop in bussines at all :-)

Lucky........