We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Range of charges for the same plan for different operators.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Range of charges for the same plan for different operators.

I am travelling (with family) to Tanzania from 26-Sep to 3-Oct. I have asked a few operators for quotes and have received some responses. The are charging me US$ 8500 (min) for 4 adults. However, I would like to understand the following:

1. Is the price being quoted very high or reasonable?

2. Are they open to negotiation of the price or is it inappropriate to do the same. (I am not yet very culturally aware about Tanzania and don't know if this is offensive to them).

3. The range I have is from 8,500 to 11,200. All hotels are the same. I am surprised at this.

The itinerary is as follows:

- Tarangire (2 nights - tarangire safari lodge)

- Ngorongoro (2 nights - ngorongoro serena lodge)

- Serengeti (2 nights - mbuzi mawe tented camp)

- Lake Manyara (1 night - serena lodge)

The min charges are $8500 which includes:

- Accommodation, based on 2 people sharing a room

- All meals (B/L/D)

- All park fees

- Oldupai Gorge fees

- Private 4x4 Land Cruiser with pop-up roof with unlimited mileage

- Experienced English speaking driver guide

- Bottled water throughout the safari

- Transport from and to the airport

- Pairs of binoculars

- All taxes

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
976 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Range of charges for the same plan for different operators.

Is that $8500-$11,200 per person or a total for all four people? If that is a total for all four people,that would make it $2125 a person. Over seven nights that would be about $300 per day which would seem pretty reasonable for a mid range safari. By the time you pay for lodging, the guide,the gas and the park entry fees there's not much left! Park fees can range from $35-$50 per person. Last time I looked, to go into the crater for a half day it was $50 per person and an additional $200 fee for the vehicle. That price may have gone up.

I can't comment on the pricing difference between operators.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Range of charges for the same plan for different operators.

It is for all 4 pax.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,532 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Range of charges for the same plan for different operators.

Irongirl got the breakdown right.

The $8,500 total is more than reasonable, in fact might be a bit low.

At Ngorongoro - How many crater floor visits. Park fee here is $50/person/day (24/hrs) but each visit to the floor is $200 for the vehicle (or $50/person). You're here 2/nts, so wonder what activities when not down on crater floor?

In fact, I'd suggest 1/nt only at Ngo and then 3/nts in the Serengeti a very large park and more to discover.

Days 1 & 2- Tarangire

Day 3 - Ngo; afternoon crater tour

Day 4, 5 & 6 - Serengeti

Day 7 - Lake Manyara

Day 8 - Arusha/JRO

As to the other higher priced quotes, and if you'd prefer to work with one of these outfitters, have you made inquiry why their prices are so much higher? No harm in asking!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Range of charges for the same plan for different operators.

I agree that the $8,500 is about right for 7 nights with 2 pax sharing, i.e. Two rooms for 4 guests.

Using my yardstick 7 nights at $200 per pax = $5,600.

Car, driver, fees etc., 7 x $200 = $1,400. You are at $7,000 so after incidentals and mark up your figure is not outrageous.

The outrageous ones are the $10,000 + ones. Tell them to justify this. Then...

A. If they won't, tell them to get lost. or..

B. If they come down to match it, tell them they should have quoted this first off and to still get lost.

If you are comfortable with the lower priced operator's bona fides, and it does look in line with reality, go with them. (I do!)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
11 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Range of charges for the same plan for different operators.

Thanks Irongrl, sandi and mfuwe,

I have finalised with the Safari care which is the one quoting 8500. I trust they are reliable. There seems to be quite a few people on tripadvisor who are happy with them.

Do let me know if you think otherwise.

Regards,

Gaurav

6. Re: Range of charges for the same plan for different operators.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2009, 05:17