We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from dar es saleem to mwanza

Dublin
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
getting from dar es saleem to mwanza

Hi,

I have to make my way from Dar to Mwanza at the end of October. I'm a 23 year old girl and i'll be on my own. I'm guessing most people are going to suggest I fly but I just thought I'd ask in case there was some brilliant and cheap alternative :-) thanks!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from dar es saleem to mwanza

You can go by regular bus but it is a long dusty bumpy ride. Brilliant? maybe, Cheap? Yes. A good idea for a solo traveller? Not really.

So dig deep. It's US$480 on Coastal (www.coastal.cc) but it is a safe and interesting flight with a few stops on the way.

Dublin
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from dar es saleem to mwanza

thanks :-) think i just needed someone to tell me it was a bad idea!

where did you find that price for that flight if you don't mind me asking? it appears i'm a bit useless at navigating websites!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from dar es saleem to mwanza

So you now fly? Very wise. Coach would be fun in a group as you cross the Serengeti and would see many animals at the right time but solo it could be troublesome but safe enough.

I got the price straight off Coastal's Website as the schedule is on Pdf. Let;'s see if I can paste the bit you need.

The grids did not paste but this is the bit.

"Dar - Mwanza Daily 09:00 16:15 Panoramic flight, via Znz, Arusha and Serengeti. $480"

You can reserve Online or by email but I always get an agent in country just to buy the tix for me.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from dar es saleem to mwanza

I'm pretty sure that Precision Air does it for much less, but it definitely doesn't fly through the Serengeti... The Precision flight should also take much less time than going through the Serengeti. Precision is sometimes not so precise with its pricing and its schedule, but it often does just fine.

Air Excel, I believe, also flies into Mwanza.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from dar es saleem to mwanza

correct Precision flies this route too on a direct flight although one stops another place first.

They are a bit shy about quoting a price though.

Dublin
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from dar es saleem to mwanza

Thanks for the help everybody!

Has anybody actually booked flights with precision? It asks for which class (and you have to fill it in or else you can't submit the form) you're looking for and gives lots of (what seem to be) random letters?

anyone know what they signify? I also emailed a few travel agents in dar and got very varied quotes on prices!

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting from dar es saleem to mwanza

Oh Precision! What joy! I think there's a thread in here on classes for Precision so you might search for that.

But I've never been able to figure them out. So bizarre because all their seats are the same. Their classification relates to how far in advance you do your bookings - it's all a complete mystery to me and I'm a tour operator! They are not good about answering questions so we just have our team in Arusha go to their office in person to make bookings - though we frequently use other airlines.

I would suggest that you give them a call and see if you can get good help over the phone. I'm 'assuming' that there's a number on their website.

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
737 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting from dar es saleem to mwanza

Precision from Arusha to Mwanza cost me $170 one way. yeah I couldnt get quotes online or on the phone really either and at one point was told there was a resident rate but when I went to their office was told there wasnt. Typical. Anyways-got a free hotdog and apple on the flight, everyone was nice, and it sure beat the bus ride from hell I took to get back.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting from dar es saleem to mwanza

Oh Precision! How I wish I could run or own this company. It's stupifyingly (?) stunning (!) that this company can have such pitiful communications, yet stay in business. I just can't imagine the level of business they could do if they would only communicate with the people who want to give them business... Oh if I could run this business...

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting from dar es saleem to mwanza

Brian, let me know when you take of Presision!! Some people (companies) are starting to get their moneys back just now.

540 will soon be doing this leg. Try to email them and see when. You might be in luck:

http://www.fly540.com/