We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Ngorongoro Crater

scotland
Level Contributor
160 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report Ngorongoro Crater

Firstly id like to mention Lucy one of the staff at Kliens who gave me a present of a lovely massi bracelet with my name on it....I have worn it ever since:))))))))))))

Back to Manyara airstrip (again) and picked up by Azizi our guide for this park. Lovely drive through the villages...people everywhere..dressed up families going to church, donkeys and ox pulling carts, bicicles, children with goats, shop selling everything and cows cows cows everywhere!! Our guide in Kliens told me everyone dreams of a nice house, nice car, nice clothes etc., Massi dream of Cows!!

Azizi gets us to close our eyes and when we open them there in front of us is the Crater..a view to remember. Then we get our first view of Crater Lodge ..what can I say about this place....5 star luxury with a world class view from your own balcony.

Not surprisingly it is not quite so personal as the other lodges we stayed at but there is nothing you couldnt like about Crater Lodge (except probably the price) The staff can have their families stay here and go to the local village school. our guide Azizi whos husband was also a guide here was looking forward to her 4yo daughter joining them sortly, she missed her so much.

We shared our vehicle with two other couples at this lodge and joinly we chose to do the early morning drive to the crater the next day.

5.00am and George brought us Coffee and cookies we where first at the truck waiting to go (unbelievable as David is not a early bird to put it mildly) We were the second vehicle in the Crater and rewarded by a sighting of a large male Lion going for an early morning drink. We saw large herds of Zebra, Buffalo, and wildebeest. There were not many other vehicles in the Crater at this time. We come across three lioness all with cubs, there is a solitary male buffalo in then distance so we wait around to see what developes. The Buffalo slowly comes closer and closer to the lions who seem pretty chilled and disinterested. We continue to watch as the Buffalo gets closer and closer oblivious to the lions until he is only several metres away. By now the lions have spotted him and as he spots the lions they start the chase. He is a very large male and turns and stands his ground ,at one time he is totally surrounded, but astonishingly he made his escape and the lions turn and walk right past our truck back to their resting place! We have a great shot of the Buffalo running with one of the lions running along side with all her 4 feet off the ground.

Azizi spots a Black Rhino in the distance, he start to come closer but then changes direction. We also see another 2 Rhino later in the day.

We then go for breakfast by the Hippo pool.

Later we see many more lions some are lying across the road blocking the access for the vehicles ..by now there are many more in the crater but it is not as busy as I thought it would be. We eventually head back to the lodge around 2.00pm an 8 hour drive...I loved it but David was very tired.

Had a relaxing afternoon enjoying the lodge, great dinner with the staff entertaining us with singing and dancing round the dining room, then fell asleep in front of our log fire...what an end to an amazing day.

We leave in the morning, back to Manyara airstrip (again) and on to Zanzibar.........

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report Ngorongoro Crater

Sounds wonderful - that's really made me look forward to my trip (as if I wasn't anyway!!).

I'll be there in two weeks time - what was the weather like? I'm trying to work out what to take and I understand it's pretty chilly overnight and warm during the day, am I on the right tracks? Any tips?

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report Ngorongoro Crater

Hi,

I am looking at going to Tanzania in January - I know it will be hot, but it's the only time we get long school holidays in Australia. Both Kleins and Crater Lodge look amazing (and expensive). Can I ask you a few questions?

We have three children - ages 11,13 and 16. Do you think the Lodge and Kleins are OK for them?

Secondly, is there enough difference in animal life and environment to justify going to both?

many thanks for a great read, Lee

Goa
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report Ngorongoro Crater

Great Trip Report !

You were quite lucky to see Rhino in the Conservation Area. I wasn't that lucky .... think the Rhino were asleep when I visited the park :)

I am sure you will cherish these memories forever !

New Jersey
Level Contributor
262 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report Ngorongoro Crater

When we were at the NCL, we saw no children.

But, if the price is OK, I would think they would thoroughly enjoy the experience.

scotland
Level Contributor
160 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report Ngorongoro Crater

The weather was just fine for us hardy Scots...it was warmer than a Glasgow summer!! Anything over 10deg here and we get the barbi out!! It was mostly in the mid to low 20s a bit cloudy in the mornings then the sun came out later in the day.

We did buy fleeces from the shop at Kliens (not expensive compared to UK) as we were out at nights and it got a bit chilly in an open top vehicle, but they did have blankets to put round you if it got too cold. Most of the time during the day I had short sleeves.

Ngorongoro I didnt think was much different to Kliens for weather but we did have a big log fire in our 'room' at nights.

Both at Kliens and Ngorongoro Crater there were families with children (not small children) and they seemed to be having a ball (lucky kids)

All the parks we went to were very different (check out my reports on Kliens and Manyara from a few days ago) I loved all three, but have to say my favourite was Manyara (although the offroading at Kliens was awsome)

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report Ngorongoro Crater

Thanks Chefsu - well I'm a "southern softie" and really feel the cold lol. Glad to hear it wasn't too bad though, I've got a fleece to bring with me, so hopefully should be ok!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report Ngorongoro Crater

Thanks chefsu.

You saw plenty of manyara strip. Just as well you liked it.

Next one please.

8. Re: Trip report Ngorongoro Crater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2010, 05:18