We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Hotel Flamingo Arusha from JRO- need advice asap!

London
3 posts
Save Topic
Travelling Hotel Flamingo Arusha from JRO- need advice asap!

Hey there

I am a medical student about to jet off to tanzania. I plan to make my way from JRO to arusha, apparently the Impala Shuttle is no longer in service, can anyone recommend transport for a solo traveller??

Also, was hoping to stay in Hotel Flamingo, Arusha. Does anyone who has stayed there before have contact details so i can book in advance?

My final destination is a hospital in Haydom.

Any other recommendations would be great!!

Thanks

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Hotel Flamingo Arusha from JRO- need advice asap!

You'll probably need to take a taxi. The going rate is $50 to Arusha. Some say you can negotiate a lower price but $50 is not a bad price. Don't know how to book the Flamingo, but you could talk to your taxi driver when you arrive and negotiate that you'll give him $50 if he agrees to wait and see if you get a room at the Flamingo. And that he'll take you to another place if they are full. There are many places in Arusha. Impossible to find everything is booked full - except for when that huge conference was in town last year.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Hotel Flamingo Arusha from JRO- need advice asap!

Forgot to say that you might try to share the taxi with someone else on the incoming flight. But you'll need to ask around and try to find someone else who is looking for a way to get to Arusha.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Hotel Flamingo Arusha from JRO- need advice asap!

Jro to Arusha now.. the new taxi sign says $US60 (bloody taxis!!).

try email on flamingoarusha@yahoo.com

Are you flying out to Haydom with the Dr's service or are you bussing it!?

London
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Hotel Flamingo Arusha from JRO- need advice asap!

I have been advised by the hospital to stay at Hotel Flamingo, as it is close to the bus terminal. They also mentioned that there are Land Cruisers that can take me from Arusha to Haydom and that only takes about 6-7 hours compared with the buses?

Thanks for the help!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling Hotel Flamingo Arusha from JRO- need advice asap!

Yep it is rite near the bus station.. just take ear plugs as it is also near the mosque! But nice place to stay and it is near Khans chicken (chicken on a bonet!! yummy). Just be aware not to walk around the market area at night. Catch a taxi!

Selian hospital also sends staff out to Haydom via road and air. It might be worth getting in touch with the Flying Doctors and Flying Medical Service to see if there is a spare seat on the plane going out.

Also just saw the Impala shuttle driver and he has said that the shuttle is still working from KIA and so is Bobbies (Bobbi tours) also!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling Hotel Flamingo Arusha from JRO- need advice asap!

I never thought of the Selian Hospital taking some things/people there. You might try contacting them. Dr. Mark Jacobson is the Chief Physician and Administrative head of Selian and their e-mail address is selianlh@habari.co.tz Mark is typically good about answering e-mails directed to him

You might also want to try and see if someone from the ELCT (Lutheran Church) will be going that way, they wouldn't mind you traveling with them. Their e-mail address is elct@habari.com.tz or since you're going to one of their hospitals they might be able to arrange for some transportation if you pay for the diesel fuel and driver. I'd give it a try. Or barring nothing else, ask if they could assist you in getting you on a bus to Mbulu. They are accustomed to this kind of thing, and this is not an off the wall request.

London
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling Hotel Flamingo Arusha from JRO- need advice asap!

Thanks so much for the advice!

If the Impala Shuttle is still running, would i need to book it? The Impala Hotel emailed me claimng that they do not run the service anymore..

I will get in contact with those hospitals and see whether anyone can assist...

thanks again!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling Hotel Flamingo Arusha from JRO- need advice asap!

The shuttles are sitting in the parking lot and stop putting people on when they fill up. I would suggest that you get out to find them as soon as possible after landing.

9. Re: Travelling Hotel Flamingo Arusha from JRO- need advice asap!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 February 2010, 07:15