Thank you for reading my lengthy post. I have looked on previous ones but did not find much advice on safari visits with small children. My husband and I are hoping to make a safari trip in June/July, 2010. Our children at the time will be 3, 8 and 10. Here are my questions:
1. Are we crazy to be thinking to go on a safari tour with such young kids (mobility and health wise)? We live in Asia and used to occasional mosquitoes and are well traveled with our kids.
2. If 'no' is the answer to my first question then please read on. Here are some things we want to see and do: We would like to see the wildebeest migration and also all kinds of animals (preferably moms and babies), predators in action, wildebeests crossing river and all that is shown in the show Planet Earth. If such trip is doable with young kids please advice us on:
When to go (is June/July a good time to do this?) where to go (Serengeti,Masai Mara or Ngorongoro) and
how long to stay there (in order to see the migration and other animals).
3. Is Arusha our best point of entry to the park? We want to try avoid 8 hours road trip from Kilimanjaro airport and possibly also avoid propeller planes.
4. We are usually very big on DIY- but was very disappointed doing that in Egypt. Is it better to go with a travel agent in this case? If so, can you recommend some good ones (not too pricey).
5. We would like to stay in a lodge inside the NP closer but in safe proximity to the animals (is this even a good idea?). Any such lodge or tent suitable and recommended? Basic facilities are fine as long as it is clean.
6. What kind of expenses would we be looking at per night stay?
Thank you so much in advance for reading my post. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.