We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanazania Safari - Cost low, average, high

Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tanazania Safari - Cost low, average, high

Hi Everyone. My husband and I are looking at booking a safari in Tanzania for February 2010. Below is the itinerary. Trying to see if the cost quoted is low, average, high for accomodations. Thanks for any feedback.

Group Safari - No more than 10, 2 vehicles

Day 1- Depart USA

Day 2 Arrive JRO at night, met & transferred to Willy's Cottages.

Day 3 - Depart to Tarangire. Maramboi Tented Camp BLD

Day 4 - Tarangire. Maramboi Tented Camp BLD

Day 5 - Lake Eyasi. Kisima Ngeda Camp BLD

Day 6 - Ngorongoro Crater. Ngorongoro Farm House or Tloma Lodge. BLD

Day 7 - Ngorongoro Crater. Same lodging. BLD

Day 8 - Drive to Serengeti. Medium mobile camp. BLD

Day 9 - Serengeti. Medium mobile camp. BLD

Day 10 - Serengeti. Medium mobile camp. BLD

Day 11 - Serengeti. Medium mobile camp. BLD

Day 12 - Drive to JRO.

Day 13 - Arrive USA.

Cost is $3,625 plus airfare. Includes soft drinks, airport transfers, park fees. Assure no fuel surcharge.

Any thoughts as to the price being low, average, high for these accomodations etc..

Thanks for your input.

Mentioned in this post
Usa River
Usa River
Arusha, Tanzania
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Ngorongoro Crater
Ngorongoro Crater
3,416 Reviews
Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Conservation...
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Bencia Africa
Safaris, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Wakawaka Adventures
Hiking & Camping Tours, Eco Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Wild Root Safaris and Adventures
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Multi-day Tours, Safaris, Hiking & Camping Tours
Aardvark Safaris
Multi-day Tours, Safaris, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,899 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanazania Safari - Cost low, average, high

Bearing in mind that your group will be five to a car this is on the high side. Not outrageously so but higher than I would have expected. February is peak time for the Serengeti.

Eleven nights at $200 per night is $2,200. Splitting car and guide will add about $500 to that. 12 days at 200/5.

So you have a figure of $2,700 as a base line. There are only park fees and soft drinks/water to add on. That should not account for the $925 over 11 days. $84 per day each.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanazania Safari - Cost low, average, high

Thanks. It seemed a bit high. The best price I have received so far is for an 8 day at about $300/day and that does not include soft drinks or coffee but does include pretty much everything else except visas,tips...

Is it usual for companies to count the day leaving the US and returning to the US as part of the trip? Some of the quotes I have received do and some don't. It has made it a bit more difficult to compare prices because I have to remember to back out the travel time so I am comparing the same thing.

Also, the other itinerary I am considering currently only has 2 full days in serengeti. Do you think it is better to have 3 full days there?

Thanks.

Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanazania Safari - Cost low, average, high

Thanks. It seemed a bit high. The best price I have received so far is for an 8 day at about $300/day and that does not include soft drinks or coffee but does include pretty much everything else except visas,tips...

Is it usual for companies to count the day leaving the US and returning to the US as part of the trip? Some of the quotes I have received do and some don't. It has made it a bit more difficult to compare prices because I have to remember to back out the travel time so I am comparing the same thing.

Also, the other itinerary I am considering currently only has 2 full days in serengeti. Do you think it is better to have 3 full days there?

Thanks.

Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanazania Safari - Cost low, average, high

I got a quote for about 12 days for a private safari.. for much less than that.

Unless you know everyone in the group, I would not recommend a group safari. Especially when you can get a private safari for a similar price.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanazania Safari - Cost low, average, high

agree with all the above for 10 pax 5 a vehicle with that accomodation it is on the high side by at least $ 500 pp maybe more

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanazania Safari - Cost low, average, high

Hi

Each time you overnight at Farm house you exit the crater and drive for circa 45 mins to the farm house and then the same rout back the next day, day 8 you pay transit fees to pass through Ngorongoro and day 12 you do the same, better would be a lodge on the rim of the crate and to save driving time and if possible one day crate on the way in and after serengeti anothe day out, crater transit fee and entrance are the same :-)

I also think it could be circa $500 cheaper as it is above

Mentioned in this post
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,899 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanazania Safari - Cost low, average, high

hak63,

I am guessing from what you now say about travel days etc., that you are dealing with an Agent that is not in Tanzania but US or someplace. This would also account for the $500 (their cut for doing nothing other that serving as middle man)

As African Lion and others have now indicated you can do far better dealing direct with an operator in Arusha who knows the patch better.

Take Achnabs valuable input re Ngorongoro as an example. That is something that simply does not occur to 'Foreign' Agents.

You say you have contacted several agents. Are all of them outside TZ or have you shopped local too?

My Advice is to contact a few of the 'names' that pop up regularly on here and ask for a price that covers Day 1 (arrive JRO) to day 11 (leave JRO).

Mentioned in this post
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Arusha Region, Tanzania
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,579 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanazania Safari - Cost low, average, high

remember that is $500 pp so $ 5000 for the group and as previously said the routing could be better it doesnt hurt to shop around a bit. and I would stay in a lodge on the crater rim, Ngrorngoro farm house is at Karatu. I would only stay at Karatu if there was nothing at the crater, and as previously said you are back tracking. Karatu to crater back to Karatu then o/n then onto the crater again on your way to the Serenegti.

The views from the crater in the morning and evening are well worth it and also if you are o/n at the crater you save valuable morning time.

Mentioned in this post
Karatu
Karatu
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tanazania Safari - Cost low, average, high

The advice to stay on crater rim is solid, except that I wouldn't automatically assume that staying at Ngorongoro Farmhouse is a bad idea. I understand and agree that back-tracking is less desirable. However, remember that the quality of room and food and more intimate atmosphere at Farmhouse is, in my opinion, significantly superior to, say, the Sopa, or even the Serena yet it costs less. The biggest drawback, and perhaps the only, is the location. Understand the differences - remember that there is NO view of the crater at night from either location - and there is no view when the fog is thick, which is most mornings.

Mentioned in this post
Arusha Region, Tanzania
nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tanazania Safari - Cost low, average, high

Is this a guaranteed departure even if with only 2/paxs? If not, what addtl cost if only 2/paxs.

Now to the itinerary. Agree with others to stay on Crater rim, at Sopa or Serena so you avoid 2nd NCA entry fee morning of Day 7. If you wish to stay at Farmhouse after spending day on crater floor that's a good idea and then head out direct to Serengeti. Farmhouse has lovely large rooms and great grounds.

Day 6 - From Eyasi to Ngorongoro Crater - o/n Sopa or Serena

Day 7 - Crater Tour; late afternoon depart to Karatu and - o/n Farmhouse

Day 8 - To Serengeti.

Question? Not familiar with "Medium mobile camp" Do you know where in the Serengeti this is located? Serengeti is very big...there's south, central, west and north? Do you have specs on this camp - type of tents, beds, bathrooms, showers, etc.

Depending on where in the Serengeti, that drive to Arusha last day will be a very long one!

Mentioned in this post
Ngorongoro Crater
Ngorongoro Crater
3,416 Reviews
Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania
Karatu
Karatu
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania