We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari

ids6
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Safari

Hi,

I'm planning to visit East Africa in November and will be in Tanzania for a few days. *Is it possible to go on a one or two day visit to Serengeti National Park? *Are there buses which tour the park from Arusha? *Most of the safaris I've seen are three days plus and look quite expensive.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari

There is a bus which goes through the Serengeti, but it doesn't stop for any gameviewing, you'll just see what's out of the window as you pass by.

You might be able to visit Tarangire or Lake Manyara for one day, then go to Ngorongoro Crater on another day. According to how many people are in your vehicle the cost will vary, if you have a full vehicle you might be able to get this for about $200 - $250 a day per person and that would be a cut-rate staying in off park lodges.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari

Forgot to mention why I didn't say anything about going to the Serengeti. It takes a long time to drive to the Serengeti. However, if you flew to the Serengeti, did some gameviewing and then flew back you could do this in two days. Will be costly with the flights. I wouldn't do that for a one day gameviewing.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,788 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari

As Karl mentions, if only interested in Serengeti, driving to/from will take almost a full day each way. You can fly-in/out, but that will be costly.

This would enable you to have afternoon game drive first day and overnight, next day minimum two game drives and overnight; third day a morning game drive then flight back to Arusha.

With only 2/days you can instead consider: drive to Ngorongoro, do an afternoon crater tour, overnight. Next day drive back via Manyara (for game drive) or to Tarangire (for game drive) and overnight. Third morning a game drive and then head back to Arusha.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,927 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari

Many safari regions in Africa are in 'wilderness' areas, are somewhat difficult to get to. (I simplify).

If time is short, why not try a park close to a city that you can visit easily. I'm sure there is one near Nairobi which may suit your needs and A taxi could take you.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safari

If you do not have much time, try just going to Tarangire National Park and Lake Manyara. Another nice park is Arusha National Park.

Just remember the size of Tanzania between the parks.. Arusha to Serengeti is about 320kms and on a good day 6-7hrs drive!!

6. Re: Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2010, 05:19