We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single Travellers Joining Safari Groups

ids6
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Single Travellers Joining Safari Groups

Okay, trying to join a short budget camping safari seems to be difficult.

Once you trawl through thirty or so operators' sites, whittle them down to say, ten you think might favour your plans and send maybe ten emails out to them, it becomes apparent this business of joining groups is a fraught process.

For instance, I am in Arusha for around ten days from the 10th November and would like to join a three or four day budget camping safari taking in the Crater, Manyara etc.

I was quoted $550 for three days but on replying to this, the itinerary changed to four days and $1400 plus. (I can only afford $650 max.)

I do appreciate how difficult it must be for operators to accommodate single travellers who want to join up with groups.

Is it a case of patience and perseverance (I know my trip will happen one way or another); am I trying to book too far ahead of my desired dates; or am I simply looking at having to book when I get to Arusha?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,852 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Single Travellers Joining Safari Groups

If you want to join a group you either have to find a tour operator who has set departure dates for a group. If you can't find such operator online, you might do best, once in Arusha, to do your booking. This can take a day or two to locate an outfitter who can accommodate you.

Otherwise, as a Single, going to specific areas that you wish (your other thread indicated Serengeti which was explained you can't do with the few days you have considering traveling to/from/between), thus the $550 price would be too low. Even if just visiting Tarangire or Manyara and Ngorongoro... price is too low as a Single.

Just having a guide/vehicle can cost $180-$200/day, then your daily room/tent/meals and park fees plus applicable taxes/VATs could easily bring the cost to the $1400+/- figure.

With your low budget, you'd have to go with a group.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single Travellers Joining Safari Groups

Yep it is a difficult to book a safari without even having the hassle of being a "single" traveller.

Also try the following:

Maasai Wanderings: www.maasaiwanderings.com

Shidolya: www.shidolya-safaris.com

Fun Safaris: www.fun-safaris.com

Naipenda: www.naipendasafaris.com

Roy Safaris: www.roysafaris.com

I know for sure that all of the above do do joining safaris. I would write one email with what you would like to do. And then send it to them all at once so that they know you are looking at other safari companies. Also sometimes I do know of cases where they haven’t made up the numbers and joined small groups of clients into other company’s vehicles.

Also try Lonely Planets forum. They also do have people on there asking for people to join their safaris.

All in all, do not stress. And think in no time at all you will have that Tanzanian air in your face and looking across the plains towards a football stadium full of Zebra! 

3. Re: Single Travellers Joining Safari Groups

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 00:05
ids6
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single Travellers Joining Safari Groups

Just to say I got sorted with a safari which is well-priced and seems to meet my needs and with a good, reputable company as well.

Thanks for all your advice.

5. Re: Single Travellers Joining Safari Groups

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2010, 07:16