We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Serengeti Medium Camp

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Serengeti Medium Camp

Serengeti Medium Camp has been suggested in our itinerary for two nights in the beginning of August 2010. I can't find any info on anyone who's been there. I realize it's a new spot and was wondering if anyone could give me some information on it. Thanks for your help.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,266 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Serengeti Medium Camp

moandoz

hi it is a bit hard to comment without knowing the operator and location of the camp.

many of these camps are semi-permanent they stay in the one location for three months,with flush toilest etc others move with the Migration or go to locations of special interest. These tend to be more mobile and might have long drop toilets or bucket showers. They generally get put up by the operator when they have clients then move it on or pull it down, once thew safari is finished. A lot of acmps now are named as this helps as a marketing tool. Also many operators dont have the equipment to set up their own mobile camps so therefore use the more permanent camps set up for three months or more.

Savanna camps mentioned recently is a case inpoint.

Post more information then people will be able to comment better.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Serengeti Medium Camp

My guess is that the Tour Operator has just meant to illustrate the quality.

i.e. You are staying at a Camp in the Serengeti in the medium price range but nothing is booked.

It is an odd name for a real place.

Hope this is of comfort.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Serengeti Medium Camp

Serengeti Medium Camp is the name of the camp that Tanganyika Wilderness Camps has in the Central Serengeti. TWC is the same company that owns Maramboi, Lake Burunge, Ngorongoro Farmhouse, Tloma, Lake Masek, etc.

I've visited the first three on my list and all three are quite nice in the middle budget range. I really love how they operate- they treat their staff and visiting guides extremely well. Their food is first-class and the service is super. I use them all the time. Recently, they opened up Serengeti Medium Camp (Central Serengeti) to be used by other tour operators (they have their own source of clients as well). They explain that this camp is simple but peaceful and comfortable. It's not necessarily for someone seeking luxury. I've not been there yet but given the quality of their operations elsewhere, I don't hesitate to use them. It is more rudimentary than Lake Masek and thus costs less but that could give you some comparison.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
113 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Serengeti Medium Camp

Thank you all for your information. It never ceases to amaze me how much you all know and how much it helps plan a trip. I could never do this without your help.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
224 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Serengeti Medium Camp

Brian,

I am looking for camping in a camp, but not on the ground, which is what has been quoted to me over and over. Does this camp have beds? I ask because my traveling companions are physically unable to get up and down from the ground.

Thanking you in advance for your anticipated response,

Linda

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,266 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Serengeti Medium Camp

I am not Brian but might try to answer

Even the budget camping should have camp beds or stretchers, I haven't heard of people sleeping on the ground. These are also in two man stand up tents.with a seperate shower and toilet tent, if not staying in public campsite which have their own toilet blocks.

The next level up middle of the range camping to me this is walk in tents with ensuite toilet (Usually chemical or long drop bucket shower) and if you a couple you can request a double bed, matress This type of camping is carried by the tour operator in a support vehicle and is mobile. With this type of camping you spend three nights usually in one location, then one night in a lodge (while the camp moves) then back to the camp. There is normally a driver, cook and camp attendant.

The next level is luxury or semi luxury camping ( these are marketing words) these are ususally semi permanent (3 months one location ) and should pretty much all you need. The type of camping Brian mentions.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Serengeti Medium Camp

Budget camping will have you sleeping on the ground - well, you'll be on a small pad on the ground.

The Serengeti Medium Camp will have you sleeping on beds.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Serengeti Medium Camp

Hi folks - I know this is quite a long time since your post, but I've recently stayed in Serengeti Medium Camp so I thought it might be helpful to reply. My husband and I went on a safari in Tanzania with Duma Explorer company, and we stayed 2 nights at Serengeti Medium Camp as part of our safari, on November 19th and 20th, 2009. The camp is a mobile camp, so the location changes based on where the animals are located. I'm not a camper, so to me this was a very nice way to camp. Each tent has 2 double beds, a table and chair with mirror, a toilet and a shower. The shower is rather manual, so when you get back each day the camp staff will come to your tent and ask if you want hot water. If so, they will fill up the tank, you take your shower, and they stand outside to see if you need more hot water once it runs out. The food is served in a dinner tent with a campfire nearby, and it is generally a course of soup (cucumber or vegetable), a chicken or beef dish, potatoes, and a vegetable side dish, with some sort of fruit dessert. Although there is electricity for lights in the tent, there are no plugs to plug in your devices in the tent, but the staff can take your devices and plug them in for you to charge in the staff area overnight.

We were very happy with our stay in the camp, although I'm not sure of the cost as I don't have a breakdown of the costs from our safari handy. I also have a number of pictures of the camp - it may not be in the same place when you go, but the amenities should be the same regardless. I don't think I can post them here since there is no entry for Serengeti Medium Camp on TripAdvisor, but here is a link to them on Kodak Gallery:

http://tinyurl.com/y989jsx

Thanks,

Amy

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Serengeti Medium Camp

Thank you Amy. This is tremendous help.

I got confused though now...some said it's fixed location and Amy said it's mobile. Their brochure said it's mobile but in Central Serengeti (semi-mobile??)

I hope to know in particular where this camp will be located (if it moves at all to stay on track of the migration) at the end of January since many here say one is better off going to South Serengeti then.

Anyone can shed some light on this?

10. Re: Serengeti Medium Camp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 December 2009, 21:43