We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm back home now

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
I'm back home now

For those one or two who might have missed me for the past month, I am now back home from Tanzania. And I will try to get caught up on the forum posts shortly.

Had a great trip. Spent several days in Arusha and a few in Dar es Salaam. Then for the most part my trip was focused on Central Tanzania in the Dodoma area working on some projects there.

I'm still amazed at the building up of the University of Dodoma and they will intake 17,000 students this year. I visited their dorms on this trip and found them like all student dorms. I am encouraged by all this educational activity. I did get the opportunity to work with several new colleges/institutions while there. I am in the process of a start-up health sciences college and are targeting September 2010 for an opening date. This will be primarily used to teach nursing students for work in the villages of Central Tanzania. All this means is that I will be spending some more time there getting this up and running.

Looking forward to all your questions on this forum, and having the ability to answer them.

On this trip I used my Blackberry for data service and it worked out well. Kept me out of the Internet Cafes; but it didn't allow me good access to the Trip Advisor forums. It did work exceedingly well for e-mails and for those Internet accesses which were made for a mobile connection. I had global data service turned on for my Blackberry for the one month that I was there, and the charges were about what I would have paid for Internet Cafe use.

I did get checked for my International Yellow Fever vaccination when I entered the country at the Kilimanjaro Airport. I arrived there from Addis Ababa via Mombasa so that may have been why I was checked since I had transited through a yellow fever infected area. It was no problem since my certificate was up to date (my vaccination had expired so I had a new vaccination just before leaving). Those who had out of date vaccinations and no certificate were trotted off for the vaccination to be administered there. One Tanzanian in front of me was sent off for the vaccination because his vaccination was expired.

Glad to be back, but missing it already.

Edited: 24 November 2009, 14:20
Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm back home now

<<Looking forward to all your questions on this forum, and having the ability to answer them.>>

Thats so kind of you Karl!. Always eager and happy to help us folks here on TA. We are ever so appreciative.

Welcome home. Sounds like you are doing such good for the people there. Keep up the great work. :)

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm back home now

Hi Karl

And you never even called me up for a beer :-( well soda in your case.

Welcome back :-)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm back home now

Karibu Bwana Mkubwa.

Nice to see you back. I knew you were out there but could not understand the lack of posts.

Do be conscious of the strain of travel nd don't overdo it.

I shall have that Beer with Achnab for you when I get there.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm back home now

Achnab... I was in Arusha for a few short days and was so busy that I didn't get a chance to stop by the Golden Rose for a nip. After a few days there I had to jump on a bus to Dar.

Glad to be back, but miss being there.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm back home now

Hi Karl - Mfuwe

I know how it is sometimes busy busy busy, but hey look what came out of this post, Mfuwe just offered the first round :-)

Kamwari
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm back home now

Well come my dear, God is there for us all

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm back home now

Without stealing the Mzee's thread I see Wormsrascal is suggesting that Beer too on her "Thanksgiving" post.

Well I am a firm believer that the client is always right so let it be!

I promise I will raise a glass to Ohio and maybe another to the Marine corps as well as Absent friends.

Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm back home now

Welcome back!

Just wondering how the connection was with your blackberry - 3G?

I assume it would work ok in the cities, but how about in the rest of the country, would there be any coverage there?

Yes its a real shame tripadvisor have still not yet developed a mobile friendly version of this site. Of any website, THIS is the one that should be mobile friendly!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm back home now

My Blackberry worked outstandingly well. My carrier is Verizon here in the US and I switched my data service to global data service (then canceled the global and went back to domestic data service as soon as I got back). In Arusha I immediately got service via Vodacom (had to switch to manual GSM and force it to Vodacom as it kept wanting to connect to Celtel and they don't have an exchange agreement with Verizon, so you might want to check before leaving and find out who services you provider in Tanzania). When I moved on to Dar I actually had worse service then in Arusha, but I could still make it operate. Some of my best service was in Dodoma. As long as I had strong Vodacom service, even when outside the cities, I would receive my e-mails.

Mfuwe, I had to offer a toast to the Marine Corps on November 10th when I was in Tanzania. The Marine Corps was founded on November 10, 1776 (guess what the reason was), and typically Marines everywhere always offer a toast to the Commandant, the Commander in Chief, and to the finest and most honorable and courageous men (and women now) on the face of the earth on that birthday. Of course I had a glass in my hand that evening.

10. Re: I'm back home now

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2010, 05:34