We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prices for solo travelers at Serengeti and Kilimanjaro

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Prices for solo travelers at Serengeti and Kilimanjaro

I might visit Tanzania alone and would like to know if there is an option of climbing Kilimanjaro and going to Serengeti joining a group made up by a tourist operator: I mean if they gather solo travelers or small groups and put them together in groups, otherwise I guess it will be expensive to do both trips......

If it´s not possible, as far as I know the price for climbing Kilimanjaro would start at $1200? how much would Serengeti cost for a 2 day trip?

Thanks a lot

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prices for solo travelers at Serengeti and Kilimanjaro

Lots of operators do 'arranged' group trips for people willing to share company to cut on costs.

Some do not like to do it as it can cause friction which they do not like. However a few of the regulars on here will try and fit you in if you contact them. Climbing the mountain can be the same and the price you are quoting is rock bottom, take care they are not risking your safety by cuttting corners.

Two days in Serengeti?? It takes a day there and a day back so unless flying, US$200, two days is not enough time. Cost of Lodgings out there will be $200 pppn but you need to add in car/driver and Fees.

If you really only have limited time and it is the right time of year July-October then I suggest you visit Tarangire and Lake Manyara instead. 3 hour drive from Arusha.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prices for solo travelers at Serengeti and Kilimanjaro

Unless you are flying to the Serengeti in the morning of the first day and back late the second I wouldn't go to the Serengeti. It is to far for a 2 day trip,I would visit Arusha National Park, Lake Manyara or Tarangire.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Prices for solo travelers at Serengeti and Kilimanjaro

I don´t have a time limitation for going to Serengeti, so I wouldn't need to take an airplane and I can stay longer.

In this case, can you please tell me where do prices start including car/driver+fees+sleeping.

As far as I know the park is too big so is hard or impossible to avoid the expensive lodging?

thanks

Moshi, Tanzania
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prices for solo travelers at Serengeti and Kilimanjaro

As long as you can extend to more than 2 days, if you are on a budget, you can go on a camping safari to the the Serengeti. I would budget $200/day for a camping safari in the Serengeti. You may be able to get by for less depending on how many people you are joining. Have a great trip.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,812 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prices for solo travelers at Serengeti and Kilimanjaro

There is a rest house and a hostel in the Serengeti. I've actually stayed in the hostel for a night and it was terrible - would have been acceptable had I been smart enough to bring my own mosquito net - but it was an unexpected stay. I intended to just pass through the Serengeti but had a break-down just before the sun went down. It was dormitory style and cost something like $20 for the night. There was a local restaurant nearby that sold dinner for something like $5. It took a while to find someone to open the place for me.

And I heard about the rest house which apparently costs $30 a night. As I understand it, the problem with these places is that you can't pre-book them and the hostel's purpose is for Tanzanian students - so they get priority.

Does anybody know more about these? I probably would never use them for my clients but for those individuals who are simply doing the absolute cheapest option in the Serengeti, this might be it - probably cheaper than camping. But I never hear anybody talking about it.

6. Re: Prices for solo travelers at Serengeti and Kilimanjaro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2010, 05:15