We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog coming with me to Tanzania Any tips on house hunting?

Texas
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dog coming with me to Tanzania Any tips on house hunting?

It looks like I may get a grant to work in Tanzania for a year and I would need to bring my small terrier type mutt with me. I'm so excited and hopefully it all comes through. It's not a lot so I will be cutting some corners on expenses.

I'd like to know about renting a decent, not luxurious place with my 15lb dog.

2. My priorities are safe, clean, hot & cold water and near enough to downtown but not in the middle of pollution most likely in dar salaam.

3.I'm open to all suggestions as to where to look, And what about where to stay with my dog until I find "the place"?

4. What should I expect to pay for rent---2 bedroom with the above ammenities?

If you want to write me priv you can reach me at sbjorkgren on the yahoo . If you can't figure it out and need to answer priv tell me here and

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog coming with me to Tanzania Any tips on house hunting?

Have you ivestigated if you do bring your dog into the country.. Can you take it out. As there is a huge amountof animal ridden diseases.

I was unfortunate enough to be on the end of rabbies shots (and intaveinus drugs) and ended up nearly evuated due to infection in my hip! If you can leave your dog at home.. I would

Also, Tanzanians do not like dogs.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,416 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog coming with me to Tanzania Any tips on house hunting?

""I'm open to all suggestions ""

Number One. Leave the dog at home.

Number Two. Think some more and then still leave the dog at home.

Rabies is rampant but that is only one of the problems your Mutt will face.

Baboons will kill it. Leopards love dogs too.

Then there are the local people to whom a dog is not a pet but something that guards livestock.

Where exactly do you plan to exercise it?

Then supposing your dog survives all that TZ has thrown at it, how are you proposing to convince immigration that your pet is healthy when you get home? Six months quarantine is the norm.

Forget your own feelings and think about your dog.

Edited: 06 December 2009, 09:40
nyc
Level Contributor
14,660 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog coming with me to Tanzania Any tips on house hunting?

Leave the dog at home for all the reasons above.

With family, friend, local groomer, even "doggie day-care"

Tanzania
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog coming with me to Tanzania Any tips on house hunting?

As far as I know there are no baboons or leopards left in Dar. Most westerners in Dar have dogs as pets, a lot bring them from their home country, be aware that when you leave TZ the dog will have to go into quarantine for 6 months. there is a very good italian vet in dar PM me if you want her details, she has operated on 2 of my dogs and she is a real dog lover

http://estates.tzadverts.com/ will give you an idea of prices of property in Dar and you can contact estate agents listed there.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,416 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog coming with me to Tanzania Any tips on house hunting?

Hi titch. No Leopards in DAR? They say that about Nairobi too.

Makes little difference. The dog should stay home in my book.

Tanzania
Level Contributor
219 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog coming with me to Tanzania Any tips on house hunting?

I would agree that for a one year posting there seems little point, taking into account the 6 month quarantine and possible risks to the dogs health.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dog coming with me to Tanzania Any tips on house hunting?

Most doges in Tanzania are guard dogs (that is the domesticated kind), thus most Tanzanians fear dogs. I bring a lot of Tanzanians here to the US and they stay in homes. I always inform them that some will have pets in the home, and most often they will ask that there not be any pets in the home where they stay. They fear them.

So know in advance that your cuddly little terrier will be unwelcome at best.

I would also contact Tanzanian immigration and find out what you will need to do to bring the dog into the country, don't wait until you get to the airport.

Do some people there have pets, yes of course; but these are very few. Dar is a big busy city and you will find that your pet will not be welcomed in most places. This may cause you some difficulties. When you look for an apartment you should always ask first about having an indoor dog. Most dogs there are kept in an outdoors pen all day, and let out at night to guard the home.

Sorry, but I would also have to say that the dog should stay in Texas.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
83 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dog coming with me to Tanzania Any tips on house hunting?

Hi!

I recently came to Tanzania with my 30 lb "southern Belle" mutt. No problems!

AND NO QUARANTINE upon reentry in the US, that only applies to England.

Here are the things you'll need:

On the US side: a USDA notarized vaccination form (your vet has them... you just send it off yourself and pay the $30 fee). Don't forget your dog needs his/her rabies vaccine more than 30 days but less than 1 year prior to travel.

A certificate (or simple note) of good health from your vet within 10 days of travel

On the Tanzania side:

"To import a pet in to the country we will need the following info:- Particulars of the pet-Name, Color, Age, Sex and breed. We will use same info to apply for the pet import permit from the Ministry of Water and Livestock Development. The permit is valid for 30 days from the date of issue. It costs tshs. 10,000/= each. Official receipt will be issued upon payment. It takes one to two days to obtain the permit." also provide a scan of your vaccine certificate, including info on things like de-worming (just state if they are on HW preventative, that counts). Whoever you are working with on your grant can help you with this- just email them the info, and they can email you back a scan of the permit, which is all you need (they barely looked at mine in the airport).

Dar's a safe enough place for pets. the big grocery stores all carry at least one brand of dog food (Purina), though I cook my own. I live out on the Msasani Penninsula, and there are loads of people out walking thier dogs of all shapes and sizes in the mornings and evenings. This is also true of Mikocheni, where I work.

Don't know what your budget it, but housing in Dar is VERY expensive- think DC rates. Friends of mine (also on grant work) live in Namanga (ecclectic predominantly African neighborhood between Msasani and Mikocheni) in a nice apartment, that allows pets, and pay $450 each (three rooms) apartments in Masaki (on the Penninsula) run in the $1500 for a one bedroom, houses can be $6000+!!! If you have access to a car, look up at the Kawe Beach area- killer traffic, but cheaper prices. You may be able to get a small house with yard (for the pooch) for around $1000.

Here's a great website to get you started, they even have housing shares posted here:

…tzadverts.com/Type/HOUSES_FOR_RENT/7.html

There are a couple of decent vets, one on the Penninsula (an Italian lady), and on Al Hassan Muyeni road (main drag from town) (a couple of Tanzanians trained in Europe). I think they both do boarding for when you travel.

Anyway, contact me if you need more info!

Congratulations, and good luck!!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
83 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dog coming with me to Tanzania Any tips on house hunting?

Oh, and as to "where to stay" while house hunting, that's a lot trickier... hotels are expensive here, and don't often allow pets. You MIGHT try Alexander's Place- it is a lovely boutique hotel, whose owners live on the premises AND have their own 15 lb-ish terrier (terror?) running around. If the $140 per night doesn't work for you, there are a few hostels, but I can guarantee they don't allow pets.

my advice: Contact Alexanders and see if you can spend a couple nights there with your dog. Traveling is traumatic, your dog will be just as jetlagged as you, and will need a couple of days of tlc to recover. then you can contact Louisa (the Italian Vet) and see about boarding your dog with her while you move to a cheaper hotel or hostel and house hunt.

Again, Good luck!!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Dog coming with me to Tanzania Any tips on house hunting?

IndrediWWF I liked your comments about pets. I lived in Arusha for a few years and always had pets, dogs, fish, birds, not cats because of the birds. Many of my neighbors even Tanzanians also had pets and dogs, some for guarding some just as a pet.

At the main supermarkets in Arusha dog food is readily available and there are pet shops which sell and advertise pups /dogs for sale. It is easy to generalize but dogs are not the pariah some people think. I must of been an odd one out because I also wore shorts and didnt offend nearly all the time. There are Tanzanian vets in Arusha who will look after your dogs/pets.

Edited: 08 December 2009, 20:22