We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzanian Visa

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tanzanian Visa

Am trying to decide whether our family should send our American passsports to the Tanzanian Embassy in DC for visa's or wait until we arrive in Tanzania (JRO) and get them there. We're hoping to leave by mid-January, so if we opt to get the visa's here, there would be additional expediting and FedEx costs along with some nail biting as I'm always uncomfortable letting go of our passports. Have any of you Americans had any problems getting your visa at the airport once you've arrived in Tanzania? Thanks much for your input.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzanian Visa

Hi

Just get them at the airport $100 pp very easy and while other are waiting for their baggage you get your visa :-)

Tanzania
Level Contributor
516 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzanian Visa

Very easy just to get it on arrival. I hate sending my passport away - can't seem to relax until it is back!!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
83 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzanian Visa

My tip is to download the visa form from the website (as if you were sending your Passport in to the embassy) and fill it out before you leave. They usually don't hand out the visa forms on the plane, which means a bit of a scramble finding the right form, finding a space on the desk and juggling your passports while filling it out in the queue.

Just tuck each form and $100 into the respective passport along with the Blue immigration form (that WILL be handed out on the plane- just remember this is different from the visa form!) and hand it to the uniformed officer, you'll be breezing through there!

Have a great trip!

PS you'll still have to fill out a health certificate on arrival (I've never been given one on the plane either)- which causes a jam at the desks in front of the visa windows, but at least you'll have the visa form filled! Don't forget your Yellow fever certificates!!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzanian Visa

Got a visa twice in the past 3 months at the Dar airport and at the Arusha (JRO). It is no problem.

There is another post today asking the same questions about a visa and I answer that more strongly about the Washington DC embassy. Do not send your passport there especially on a short notice.

Berlin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzanian Visa

I got my visa also on arrival at airport and i had no problems at all.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
61 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanzanian Visa

Thanks everyone on your Tanzanian Visa advise. Think we'll carry the completed visa paperwork and process it at the airport at JRO and bypass the Tanzanian Embassy in DC. Also, thanks for the reminder about the Yellow Fever documentation. One more document to bring. I'm feeling much better now and so looking forward to absorbing Tanzania next month.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
1,010 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanzanian Visa

Please post when you return how it went. We aren't going until June, but are trying to decide if we should mail in our passports after our next vacation or just wait until we get there with the downloaded paperwork. Your imput would be helpful! Thanks.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanzanian Visa

Download and complete the paperwork, but the past few times into Tanzania, the paperwork was not necessary. I think they take it when you hand it to them, but they are not really looking for it. They want the landing card and the money. But like I said print it and complete it just in case. I think someone recently said it was now needed, but not sure.

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tanzanian Visa

So it sounds like I can't get a Tanzanian visa at home (UK)? Can anyone tell me what other documents, certificates and jabs I need - we're only spending a couple of days in Tanzania, and then the rest in Zanzibar.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
83 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tanzanian Visa

You can get it in the UK, though if the Tanzanian Embassy in the UK is anything like the one in the US (Slow, inefficient, over-priced!), you are better off getting a Visa on Arrival. I would definitely find the paperwork to download online and fill it out before you go- one less step in the airport (and they DO want the paperwork- they might not look at it closely, but they still file it!)

As a UK citizen I believe your Visa fee is still $50 USD- just make sure you have new bank notes (in all denominations, no one, including hotels, tour operators, etc. will take older ones, even those that look like the "new" dollars).

So basically when you come off the plane have on hand:

your passport

Your visa application page (printed from home)

$50 in crisp new USD

the blue arrival card (which they'll give you on the airport)

your yellow fever card

you'll be good to go!

They may check your passport when you go to Zanzibar (and for some bizarre reason make you fill out a departure card if you take the ferry), but you won't need any more money or new documents.

Have a fun trip!