We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yet... another last minute details

USA-Oregon
Level Contributor
300 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
yet... another last minute details

you have been warned - I am back go for more ...LOL

Ok, so I went to Precison Air website and they have 20kg as weight limit per passenger - I have been seeing(?) 15kg on this site - or does it refers to maximum weight allowed per porter?

Tried also to find anything about cost per excess kg on a flight - anyone has any idea what's the cost?

Today we do the first pre-pack, weight the bags, and see what else we will leave behind.

Then we can treat most clothing with permethrin.

All toileteries will be bought in Arusha, except the ones we need during the climb - as we have waterless soap and other stuff.

I assume it will be very easy to find the normal stuff in Arusha, but what about for instance powdered gatorade? (the one you mix with water)and powerbars or similar?

We are debating in either bringing some extra warmth clothing or buy it in Arusha( and donate it after) - is there a place, such as a local market that have people selling used climbing clothing? looking for used on the killi climb and such...that most likely was donated to porters and they are now selling it.

We need a suggestion about what can we do for a few hours in Dar, before last fligh at midnightt. We leave from Zanzibar sometime after 5pm - so it seems that we will have some good 4 hous to kill before last flight with KLM

Any suggestions?

This next one is a hard one - I realize that will be really a matter of personal taste and purse, but what is really worth to buy either during a northen safari, Zanzibar or even at Dar?

Obviously weight will be a concern as we have two internal flights, and we are keeping all climbing gear, so - and so far is mostly my wife's concern - where will we find better deals, and unique local items? probably not so much interested in wood carvings.

in sum, we are trying to avoid the tourist trap/overpriced stuff, but we don't want either miss an opportunity thinking that we can buy somewhere else and then don't

-12 days and counting :)

Thanks,

Phil

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,715 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yet... another last minute details

"what is really worth to buy "

The best and lightest stuff are kikoys and kangas. Vast selection; and reasonable prices.

As to weight limits on planes: I don;t think its just a matter of paying for the excess. There will be times when the plane won't take off as bags are too heavy. No money will persuade the pilot to take off, as it's his neck on the line. I'm exagerrating slightly here, but you get the drift. Heavy bags are normally left for the next flight.

Having said that, most pilots/flights etc are flexible and will unofficially take into account how full the plane is.

Just my view. I've heard that Coastal are happy to store heavy gear at their office in Dar - maybe Precision do something similar?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: yet... another last minute details

Overweight charges are per kg at about $2-5/per kg.

Weight stations are at JRO, Arusha and ZNZ, not out in the Serengeti or other parks. However, the pilot can tell on lifting whether you've exceeded your limit.

As to "what to buy....." it's so individual. Kikoys and kangas as above along with batiks (come in all sizes and can be rolled or folded easily in luggage), carved animals (wood or stone), masks, shields, speers (the later come apart and should be packed in checked bags not carryon) and on and on and on...

Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: yet... another last minute details

You're going to 'treat' your clothes with permethrin ?

Why?

I don't understand the use of poison. I just don't see the necessity.

Oh, hope you don't have a cat at home. Permethrin kills cats.

USA-Oregon
Level Contributor
300 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yet... another last minute details

...as in keeping the mosquitoes off you and avoid malaria - I think is good reason enough.- not to mention the simple bite rashes

Deet is also a poison, and unfortunatly they are both very efficient - and for both risks are minimal if you use as directed.

It's my take - and yes I do have cats in the house.

Maybe you ought to do some research about what's implied in the use of both - and in special the risks of not using it.

Way more could be said about the pro&con's of either or neither, but that 's not why I post - not looking for a debate or change the title of this thread

Take care

USA-Oregon
Level Contributor
300 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: yet... another last minute details

Thanks Peter.

We just weight the bags with our sleeping bags and we both are under 20 pounds - so I guess we are good to go.

not to bad per kg, but would hike the cost of the souvenir pretty fast.

not sure what would be worst in Amesterdan - wearing the mask or holding the spear LOL.

Actually we are carrying a third bag, so we can leave some stuff behind while climbing, so I hope they account the third bag as an overall weigh for the tow people and not just for one. Yes, we could overstuff one bag, but as last resource.

No, we won't even came close to jeopardize us, the pilot or annyone else in the same flight.

Thanks for the imput

Edited: 19 December 2009, 23:28
USA-Oregon
Level Contributor
300 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: yet... another last minute details

Thanks 4sandi.

Actually what I was looking for was more in the line of, where to avoid buying it. For instance, from reading other posts in this forum I realize very obviously, that it will be way more expensive to buy souvenirs at hotels and visitor centers - very much common sense

We can buy some stuff during the safari, but wonder where it will be a more typical "homemade" versus a "production line" sort of thing, and also if there is a location that solely sells it or is known for having it (as they have the "real stuff", not jsu another copy)

No idea what a kikoy, kanga or batik is, but I will learn about it for sure once there :)

Thanks

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,890 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: yet... another last minute details

Phil if you have some time there is a market for souvenirs in Arusha plenty of variety and you can bargain. Wouldn't go to places (except for a look) like the Cultural Centre way over the top on prices.

On the way to Ngorongoro above the escarpment at Manyara there are also souviners shops worth a look if you have the time just for a price comparison and idea of stuff available. Also good views of Manyara.

If you are interested in gem stones a cheap one is red garnet looks nice and mined in Tz. Shops around the Post Office area will have plenty

USA-Oregon
Level Contributor
300 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: yet... another last minute details

Thanks Noexpert

I will look for the places you mention.

Seems that if I want to drink gatorade and munch on some Gu and powerbar during last climbing stretch, I will have to bring it from here.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: yet... another last minute details

Not sure what Gatorade is. Is it made from Gators?

Some sort of Energy drink with sugar? Only make you more thirsty, stick to water.

Same with 'Powerbars'. A pocketful of dried fruits, raisins nuts etc., is easier to carry and more beneficial. (What I think you folks call "Trail Mix". You have a name for everything??) You can feed some to the striped mice in your huts too.

Have fun.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: yet... another last minute details

Phil.... I'm not certain about the availability of Gatorade; but power bars might be available in Shop Rite (a super market of sorts) in Arusha. Shop Rite is located in a shopping area out Sokoine road, most everyone there will know where it is. If Gatorade is available then it will be at Shop Rite. Ourside that you might like to just get some fruits, they are fresh and available all over town, no matter what town you're in.

For souvenir shopping go to the Mt. Meru shops which is a place where there are about 50 - 75 hut/shops all staffed by locals. Some will be there making some of the things which they have for sale. Most are purchased from local artisans and many of the shops will have the same things or similar things. All will expect you to negotiate. There's carvings, paintings, beadwork, clothing, and everything imaginable in these shops. You will find these about 3 blocks from the Clock Tower roundabout (center of the town) on School Road (this will be the road between the Arusha Hotel and the bank going off the roundabout. Again most people will know where this is located.

To stay away from would be the Heritage Cultural Center, a misnomer as it's actually a high priced souvenir store. Do not under any circumstances buy jewelry or what they call "authentic" antique African items (they're probably carved in the shops out behind and banged up against the walls to make them look worn). It's a good place to go and look around, but not to buy anything unless you want to pay 3 - 5 times what you can get the same thing for elsewhere. They do a good job of puffery.

If you do want to buy some jewelry then wait until you get to Dar es Salaam, they have a jewelry district of about 40 stores all in one area. Go to Indira Gandhi Street (several blocks off Morogoro Road and between Morogoro and Samora Streets) and there you will find many stores. They will all be gated front entrances but if you walk up to the gate the guard will unlock the gate and let you in, don't be put off by this. Most all in this area are very trustworthy and honest; but they will expect you to negotiate the price. Gold is 18ct and priced by the gram no matter what it is made into. Stones can be set into jewelry in a day on a rush job and brought to your hotel room if you ask. I have found the store Gem Point in this area to be very honest. They will attempt to get the best price but once the price is set they are very honest in what you end up with.

The hotels and some stores in Arusha many times offer inferior stones at high prices.

If you would like for a person to come to your hotel room and bring a wide variety of good stones then contact Wiston Laizer at sunsetcamp2003@yahoo.com he is very honest and can get your stones in a setting if you wish, negotiate for the price. He has offices in both Arusha and Dar es Salaam. He knows tanzanite very well, along with saphire, garnets, tourmaline, ruby, and many others, some you probably never heard of.

Hope this helps a bit on your last minute details.