We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Safari

UFtraveller
5 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon Safari

Hi,

My Fiance and I are looking into going to Tanzania for our honeymoon and want to get an idea of the prices to see if it would be in our budget. Our Honeymoon would be in early September. We are looking to do approximately 6 nights on a safari and 6 to 7 nights on the beach (i.e. Zanzibar, Pemba, etc.). For the Safari portion we would like to get a chance to see the river crossing and are hoping to stay in a lodge or permanent campground. For the beach portion we would like to stay in a resort on the quieter nicer side. Our total budget for our trip would be approximately $10k. Does anyone know if this is realistic?

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Safari

The budget should be okay does it include airfares to Tz. Also trying to se the river crossing isnt that easy. Many people wait weeks or months for a good view of that. I would probably spend less time at the beach and more time on safari. Spending a min of 2 nights in three or four locations maybe three nights in one. Some lodges/camps have honeymoon suites try and book some of these. They are pretty classy.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Safari

Would agree with noexpert on this. Don't put the seeing the river crossing high on your list of things to do. If you spent the entire time in the Serengeti (where the river crossing will be) you probably would miss it. I would suggest that you visit Tarangire at that time of the year, Ngorongoro Crater, and the Serengeti. You will see more animals then you thought existed by doing this and won't mind missing the river crossing. If you stick with the 6 nights for the safari, then I would suggest 1 day in the first two locations, then the remainder in the Northern Serengeti.

You can get this done within your budget, just don't go the luxury route on accommodations. Most all lodges are good, so just ask for mid level accommodations.

You don't say where you're from, so it's difficult to say on the budget if you are including air fare to get there in your budget.

UFtraveller
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Safari

Thank you for all your help. We will be leaving out of New York City and are hoping to have the flights included in the $10,000 budget.

Karl could provide an example of a place thatwould classify as mid-level accomdations, so my fiance can get an idea of the type of place we would stay in. Also, does anyone recommend any tour operators would I should contact in regarding this trip.

Thank you

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Safari

UFtraveller

even though your question was directed at Karl perhaps I can put in my tuppence worth. Tarangire I would try and visit there as that is the place to see elephants accomodation middle range there would be Boundary Hill Lodge just type it in search and then read the comments.Another would be Kikoti camp same location. For Tarangire I have put the accomodation outside the park then you can do a night game drive also I believe these two places are excellent value. Boundary Hill Lodge has a Honeymoon suite. For Manyara if you stay there I would probably stay at Kirurumu even though their honeymoon suite might be too expensive. Another alternative is Manyara Serena or Eunoto.

For Ngorongoro I have stayed many times at The Wildlife lodge great location but a bit budgety however the Sopa lodge there has a great location and would rec. this it is a middle range lodge.

In the Serenegti I would try Serenegti Serena a bit slightly up market but has recently received a good reviews here. Also worth looking at is Mbuzi Mawe for a tented experience but many recent reports say the staff arent that hot.

Close to central Serenegti is Mbalageti I would regard it as middle of the range. Ask the price of that as well.

I would try the following operators

stacy_readal@dumaexplorer.com

simon@eastafricansafari.info

leopardtours@leopardtours.co.tz

also Basecamp and Access2Tanzania are also others with good reports here. I would try the above 5 for a start then if not satisfied there are many more.

Edited: 25 December 2009, 02:54
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Safari

I think you got your answer on the accommodations. I always hesitate to provide recommendations for accommodations, my criteria for someplace to stay is very much different from others (mine is reasonably clean, secure, change linens, and preferably warm water for a shower; and other things are just frosting on the cake).

Flying out of NYC you are going to be in the $1,600 - $2,000 range per person for the airfare, leaving you $6,000 for the safari and beach time. That might be a squeeze on the budget for all this as you are in the $250 per person per day range. It can be done, but you will need to choose your accommodations carefully and not go on the top end and mix in some more budget places. All the lodges are good IMO (but remember my criteria is very low). You might try getting some off the park accommodations which are a lot lower priced, some are very good.

I would suggest contacting Base Camp Tanzania (www.basecamptanzania.com) Park East Africa (www.parkeastafrica.com), Green Earth, Afritrail Safaris (www.afritrailsafari.com) and many others which by doing a search on this forum you will find.

UFtraveller
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Safari

Thank you for all your help and insight. I will talk it over with my Fiance and try to decided what to do. Feel like a Safari would be some much fun.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Safari

As it is a special trip, you could head down to Pangani after your safari and get the dhow over to Zan.

Would also have to agree with Tarangire. Just a beautiful park and do not stay at Sopa! I've had problems there and also clients have commented on the lack of service. There are much better place to stay.

Have a great time planning your trip

8. Re: Honeymoon Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2010, 05:16