We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boarding Passes and Baggage

Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Boarding Passes and Baggage

Hi Everyone.

My husband and I leave Feb. 10 for our safari. (by the way, thanks to everyone who posts as it was very helpful with our planning)

Ticket purchased on NWA from Anchorage to Kilimanjaro and returning from DAR to Anchorage.

Flights are as follows: 1st leg is on AK Airlines from Anchorage to Seattle. We connect with NWA from Seattle to Amsterdam. Then finally connect with KLM from Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro. Can anyone tell me if we will have to get boarding passes at the NWA and KLM gates both? I assume we will get NWA boarding passes at gate but am not sure if we can also get KLM boarding pass then as well or not. I suspect not but ... Then does anyone know if we will have to pick up our luggage anywhere along the way, other than clearing customs, and recheck it? These airlines are all partners so seems like the luggage would get checked all the way through but maybe not. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hollie

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,814 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boarding Passes and Baggage

My experience is that you will get all boarding passes at your first check-in (though every now and then, a long time ago it seems, I would have to pick up another boarding pass in Amsterdam) and they should also check your bags all the way through to Kilimanjaro. In Amsterdam they have stations, that I believe they call something like "Transfer Points" and this is where you can ask questions and get boarding passes should it be necessary.

But, no doubt, the agent at check-in at Anchorage will be able to give you instructions in any scenario.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boarding Passes and Baggage

Brian is correct on this. Sometimes the NW agent cannot get you a boarding pass but that is rare. If they can't then go to the Transfer desk (this is at the end of the concourse near Gate 1). Sometimes they will tell you to pick up the boarding pass at the gate also. They will instruct you on whatever you will need to do.

You can check in on NW online and they prefer that you do, get your seating and print out your boarding passes. Then all you need to do is go to the self check baggage and swipe your passport and follow the self check in instructions on the terminal at the airport. They typically have agents there who can help you with the self check in at the airport.

All luggage will be checked through to DAR.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,614 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boarding Passes and Baggage

As both above, and especially with all airlines partnered, you should be able to have your bags "thru-checked" and obtain "all" boarding passes in Alaska. Be sure to check the tags before the agent puts your bags on the belt or if you have to take to a second station to hand over - tag should read, SEA, AMS, JRO,

Unless for some unforeseen reason you don't get all your boarding passes, once in AMS, go to the Transfer Desk where the agent should provide those for ongoing to JRO.

Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam is very civilized and easy to navigate with excellent signage.

Safari njema!

Denver
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boarding Passes and Baggage

NWA and KLM are extremely well integrated, especially through Amsterdam. You should have no problems on the flight out. You may have to to stop at a service desk on the way home, but it wouldn't be a problem.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boarding Passes and Baggage

I would imagine that the Schipol airport will be in a tight security mode since the incident on the flight from Amsterdam to Detroit (a flight I take often) this past week. Amsterdam always has extra security at their gates, but I would venture a guess that it will be heightened now; thus I would make certain that you are at the gate with plenty of time to spare.

Alaska
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boarding Passes and Baggage

Thanks for all your comments. I expect that security will be pretty tight but maybe will relax some by the time we leave in February.

7. Re: Boarding Passes and Baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2010, 05:20