We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hunting and community conservation

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,960 posts
Save Topic
Hunting and community conservation

eturbonews.com/13879/tanzania-tour-operator-…

and

safaritalk.net/index.php?showtopic=4427&hl=

for those interested the above links provide some interesting reading on the conflicts between hunting companies, and companies operating outside the National Parks on community land.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hunting and community conservation

next to the airstrip.. wel that just speaks volumes!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hunting and community conservation

Many thanks for highlighting this. I can't believe an &Beyong guy could do that.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,769 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hunting and community conservation

I may have been a bit hasty in jumping to conclusions....

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hunting and community conservation

Don't think we will ever know the real reason/outcome... lets just hope he wasn't set up and he is innocent

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,960 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hunting and community conservation

the interesting thing I noticed about the first link is another article in the paper about Tarangire National Park and how it is to be expanded similiar to Lake Manyara. With three villages being relocated. Has anybody heard of this apart from this newspaper article?

Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hunting and community conservation

So its not enough to charge out the ear for their accomodation, they need to top up the funds with ivory too. Nice.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,960 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hunting and community conservation

I agree they do charge an arm and a leg but wonder also if it is a setup as I cant imagine a lodge manager in such a high profile area doing what he is accused of.I do know that many hunting companies are capable of anything.

In this instance I would lean on the side of a set up, thats just a feeling I have.

8. Re: Hunting and community conservation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2010, 08:16