We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Advice, Please

Guangzhou, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Last Minute Advice, Please

Hi, Safari is booked and the plane takes off in two weeks. We have our Yellow Fever Certs and Malaria pills, my USA passport and a copy of the Visa form. I have $500 in US cash-all $20's newer than 2006. (I can only get $20's in China.) And 3 ATM cards. Bug spray, sun block, itch relief, aspirin. 2 torches, 2 pair of pants, 4 t-shirts, shoes, flips,and personal hygiene stuff. I will tip in Tanzania currency-which I hope to get from the ATM.

Am I missing anything? Should I try to bring more cash? (It is not easy to get US cash in China, but I will be traveling through Doha, which will most likely have a good currency exchange)

Any last minute advice?

And thanks to all who have contributed to this forum. It has been very helpful.

Arusha Tanzania
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute Advice, Please

Hi

Scan all your important documents and send them to your e-mail, that way you can always get a copy if everything is lost-stolen etc :-)

Guangzhou, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute Advice, Please

Good idea. I also take a picture of my baggage at the airport in case it gets lost.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,929 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute Advice, Please

A lot of people take a camera, some take 2..

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute Advice, Please

Have a good safari. My only suggestion is to leave your preconceptions about Africa at home, take a good sense of humor along with you, go with the flow of things as they are sometimes very different from what you might be accustomed to, and above all enjoy yourself and the wonderful country of Tanzania and it's people.

Guangzhou, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Minute Advice, Please

Oh yeah, I forgot to list my two cameras and binoculars I have packed. Thanks for the reminder!

Guangzhou, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Last Minute Advice, Please

Thanks Karl. Good advice

Mount Prospect...
Level Contributor
19 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last Minute Advice, Please

Looks like you are pretty well set. I would also suggest bringing energy bars. On the Tanzanian safari I went on in January the time between breakfast and lunch was very long. Also, do not count on laundry getting done --- bring lots of socks, woolite, and a plastic hanger.

Have a great time ---- I miss it already!

Pune, India
Level Contributor
108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last Minute Advice, Please

Some suggestions from me....

1) See if you can get a travel adapter for all cameras/mobile phones before you leave, else you can easily buy one when you arrive in Tanzania.

2) If possible, get Tanzanian Shillings from a "Bureau de change" rather than an ATM since your bank might charge you for using the ATM card outside your country.

3) If you plan to buy more USDs at the stopover in Doha, make sure you get $50 & $100 bills (new ones of course) since the exchange rate for $20 bills is significantly less than $50 or $100 bills (that is of course if you plan to buy Tanzanian Shillings from a bureau de change when you reach Tanzania)

Enjoy your trip and please do post when you get back :)

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last Minute Advice, Please

Did you mention a hat? You'll need at least one hat as the sun can be pretty bright. My husband got by with about 3 shirts (long sleeved) and 3 pair of pants for 11 days. We never wore shorts or short sleeved shirts because of the tse-tse flies and mosquitos. We did a private safari and at the end of the trip we tipped our guide and 3 "crew" in US$ instead of Tanzanian shillings, which was what they said they'd prefer. Have a great time. We've been back a couple weeks and really miss Tanzania.

10. Re: Last Minute Advice, Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2010, 05:16