We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report (sorry so late)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
68 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report (sorry so late)

A very late trip report but I suppose better late than never and there are a few people to thank. Thanks to Karl and all the contribitors for help with our itineary and special thanks to Achmed and Basecamp for a terrific few days. They really are excellent.

I travelled in September last year with my girlfriend and had a great trip. Once we arrived in Dar es Saleem we transferred straight to Kilimanjaro when we were met by our driver / guide. On our way to the lodge L'oasis we ran out of petrol on the main road. As any of you who have been will know there are lots of people walking the roads who helped but it was a little intimidating at the start when you have never been and you don't know what they are saying. Our poor driver got a slagging th efollowing day but after the early hick up he and his cook were excellent.

We saw everything and have fantastic photographs, mostly thanks to our eagle eyed guide. The hightlight was our 4 cubs in the Serengeti. They played right in front of us for about an half an hour with not another person or jeep in sight, fair play to him for finding them and working so hard for us. Because it was September we skipped Manyara and went to Tarangire instead as recommended. I loved this park and it was a real highlight which I would recommend. From there we went to the Serengiti and then Norongoro with a few stops on the way. The funniest photos are the first ones where you see an animal in the distance and are delighted but wondering if you will get that close again but after a while you stop taking photos even when they are right beside you because you have so many. We never dreamed we would see so much and the scenery is breathtaking.

On the stops I would recommend them but they are expensive. We stopped at a tribal village and learned a lot but don't be afraid to ask any questions even the hard ones. We also stopped in one of the towns for a cultural visit which is very nice but the walk can be hot.

The parks are amazing and really wild but this also applies to the camps. They are perfect for a couple of nights are are the only way to go but after a few dyas of cold showers and living out of a bag and tent it is hard.

Thanks again to Basecamp and all his staff, I'm sure the regular posters are sick of seeing all the praise for him and when you guys all meet the english fecker probably rubs it in but I have to say it. Thanks Achmed for meeting for a drink on the final night, it was great to catch up and hear the stories.

After this we moved onto Zanzibar for a week afterwards which is lovely. We stayed in the town for two nights which is plenty and also did a spice tour from here. I recommend the food in the main square for one night and the sunset in Africa house. Here we stayed in Zanzibar Coffee House which is a lovely spot and quite resonable. They gave us loads of tips and organised a very good shared taxi to Nungwi.

After that we moved onto Nungwi for 5 nights and stayed in Langi Langi. I would recommend it and also pay a little extra for the ocean view rooms. We sat on the balcony several evenings watching the sun set with a beer. For the price range it is the best place to stay as it is beside everything and also within the closed village area. The sea comes right in under the restaurant when the tide is in and the staff were fishing for calamari off the raised area which was fun to try. Nungwi was very relaxing and we did a couple of day trips like snorkling and walking the area.

One thing I would say about Zanzibar is it is not a five star island so be prepared to haggle for everything and to have people offering to sell you anything on the streets. If you like fish it is your kind of place and the beers are resonable. One thing I will remember is being stopped at a roadblock on the way back from Nungwi and the driver had to drop money on the road for the policeman, the next roadblock we met he told the policeman there he had already paid up the road and his reply was it's my turn tomorrow.

Sorry for the late report but hopefully it will help a few planning for this year.

My best to all here and if you are travelling this year I know you will have a ball.

Noel

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,618 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report (sorry so late)

Nice report thanks Ryan.

Any Pictures?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report (sorry so late)

Nice report.. loved the feeker bit hehheeee Achmed!

Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report (sorry so late)

Hi Interested in your report as we are about to sign up for a 8 day safari and the sidetrip to Zanzibar in February of next year.

We are seniors but healthy and active. What was the physical level of your experience.

We are travelling from Toronto canada and currently exploring airflights

We are to arrive at Kilimjaro airport( plane arrives late at night) and picked up there to go to the first hotel) camp)

Thanks for so many insights . it is helpful

What kind of luggage did you bring/

tx stormylca

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
68 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report (sorry so late)

Hi Stormylca,

Sorry so late in replying, forgot completely about it. I hope you got some information you required. Anyway to answer your questions

The physical level is quite easy if you are sprightly seniors which you are. The worst part is the long drives between and in the parks sometimes on very poor roads but you stop quite regularly. In the part it’s like finding your sea legs especially when you’re standing up in the jeep but once you do you will enjoy the drives, views and fresh air. The other tiring part is the heat.

8 days is a long time on safari so you will definitely want some lodges to relax and get better facilities in between.

As you can see we booked with basecamp safari’s who organized the transfers from the airport as part of the package. With flights we booked through cheapflights and booked the internal to Zanzibar ourselves but your operator can do this for you if you wish.

By luggage I presume you meant clothes. Shades and a hat are important for the sun but also the dust. You will need cotton trousers and a fleece at night as it can get chilly. We were there in September so not sure if it is the same in February. Other than that long sleeved tee-shirts and cotton trousers are better to keep the insects out but shorts are grand once you rub in the repellent well but the critters will find any spot you miss.

Very important as my girlfriend mentions me to say is to bring your own loo roll as not all places will have it and most importantly baby wipes.

Any other questions don’t hesitate to ask and I promise a quicker response. You will have a ball as it’s a great country and your side trip to Zanzibar will be a nice relaxing part at the end which we needed and enjoyed very much.

Regards,

Noel

5. Re: Trip Report (sorry so late)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2010, 05:16