We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our Wonderful Trip with SafariCare- Feb 2010 (long)

Guangzhou, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Our Wonderful Trip with SafariCare- Feb 2010 (long)

We had a fabulous trip, saw many wonderful things and loved our guide. I will share our days for anyone else interested in going on the northern circuit.

Day 1- Feb 14-picked up at 7:30 by Mollel in Arusha and drove to Tarangire National Park. There were elephants galore, many babies and juveniles. We also saw gazelle and a wide variety of birds, monkeys in the trees and a few giraffe. Except for the Tsetse flies, this is a very lovely small park . We stayed at the Maramboi Tented Lodge that night. We were greeted with a cold towel and a cold beer. The room was super, with Zebras grazing in the field in front of our tent and a show after dinner, which was excellent.

Day 2-Feb 15-after a great buffet breakfast we headed to Manyara Lake National park. Baboons greet you on the road in abundance. We also encountered zebra, giraffes and warthogs. We saw a hippo asleep in a pool and about 15 giraffe down by the lake resting in the sun. The prize for that day was watching a lioness just sitting in the river cooling off. We stayed at Kisima Ngeda Tented Camp on Lake Eaysi that night. It is run by a German and his Argentinean wife. The tent was lovely and the steak we had for dinner, as well as the vegetables and dairy products are all grown on the farm. I could have stayed right here for a few days.

Day 3-Feb 16-We arose at 4:30 and were greeted with a warm breakfast, after which we went in search of the Hadzabe people. We found them just awakening and joined them for their morning hunt. We only got two doves, but walking through the bush as sun rose was lovely. The rest of the day was spent making the drive to the central Serengeti. We were able to see a part of the gathering migrating herds along the way, as well as a few giraffe out for an afternoon munch. We stayed at the Serengeti Medium Camp that night. This was another nice place, not as luxurious as the other two nights, but right in the bush with nature all around. Meals are served at one big table, so every has a chance to talk about the days adventures. The food was good and plentiful. They heated water for our gravity fed shower as soon as we reached the camp, and brought cold drinks to our tent.

Day 4-Feb 17-We slept in to 7am this morning, and after a good breakfast we were off to explore the central Serengeti. The herds of migrating beasts had not made it this far yet, so we went in search of leopards and lions. We found both! The leopard was in a tree and did not do much but wag her tail, but the lions were great to watch. There was a male and a female, full from the buffalo they had eaten, which was still in evidence nearby. They lazed in the sun right next to our jeep. We were the only people in sight so it was a very person experience. She would get up to move to a shadier spot, he would look up sigh and slowly follow her. It was comical. Later in the day we watched a Cheetah looking for something; she crossed the road right in front of us. That night we stayed at the Nasikia Luxury Tented Camp on Naabi Hill, right outside the park entrance. We were the only ones in the camp that first night. In the middle of the night an elephant came to visit, the shaking of the tent woke us, then we just watched him eat right outside our tent. The food was extremely good in this camp. Once again they heated water for our gravity fed shower and brought us cold drinks as soon as we return to the camp, hot and dusty from a day on the plains.

Day 5-Feb18-We arose early and went in search of the great migrating herds. We headed into the Ndutu area. Each time we passed another jeep the guides would stop to chat. It seemed no one was having luck finding the herds. Our guide, Mollel, said he had an idea, so we headed off in the opposite direction of the other jeeps. After about 45 minutes, we found what we were looking for, thousands of wildebeest, zebra, gazelles, and their attended birds. We wandered around watching the herds from different locations. We parked under a tree for our picnic lunch while surrounded by grazing animals. On the way back we came across a pride of lion, well fed, sleeping in the sun; except, of course, the younger members of the pride were busy wrestling. We returned to Nasikia Camp, well satisfied with the day’s adventures, to a warm shower, a glass of wine and a bonfire.

Day 6-Feb 19-Todays agenda was to explore the kopjes and see what we could find. The herds had moved into the area. We had fun watching several Gazelle chasing a jackal. We found several lionesses and a few young males sleeping in the rocks. We were far afield when we stopped to admire the beauty of the sky, the plains and the endless sea of grazing animals when suddenly a small group start to run like their life depended on it. Which it turned out it did. From a nearby kopje two cheetahs emerged, quickly accelerating to full speed. We watched as they brought down a Wildebeest and ate their fill. By the time they were full, the cheetahs were covered in blood and their stomachs bloated. We waited awhile for the vultures now circling overhead to land. We had been alone to witness the entire event, but other jeeps, noticing we had been sitting way off on a little used track, were beginning to come investigate, so we went on our way. We soon discovered a mother cheetah and four cubs so young that their eyes were still closed and they couldn’t walk. We worried that it would be too stressful on the new mom and her brand new babies to stay long, or have a bunch of other jeeps show up, so we quickly took a few snaps and left her in peace. After a hot lunch back at Nasikia, we headed toward the Ngorongoro Crater and the Sopa lodge. I have written a review of this lodge elsewhere. I was not impressed with the segregated feeling of the place.

Day 7-Feb 20- We descended into the crater at 6:30 and had the place pretty much to ourselves for about an hour. We shared a close encounter with a black rhino, he crossed the road directly in front of our jeep, with two other groups. Of course we saw everything there was to see in the crater, but by 9am it is so crowded it feels more like a theme park. We drove on to the Farm House for the night’s stay after feeling we had seen all we could in the crater. The Ngorongoro Farm House is true quiet luxury. It is the perfect ending to a perfect safari.

Day 8-Feb 21- We headed back to Arusha and the end of the safari part of our journey. A word of warning about the souvenir shops on the road, they are WAY OVERPRICED. I got the same exact bookends at the airport for $15 that two of those shops wanted $85 for. One shop said he would come down to $50. Even the ‘walk away’ method of bargaining did not work with these shop keepers. And I noticed most of them were not native Tanzanians.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Our Wonderful Trip with SafariCare- Feb 2010 (long)

Thanks for the report. I did try to find the report on Ngorongoro Sopa but so far failed can you please provide the link

thanks

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,416 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our Wonderful Trip with SafariCare- Feb 2010 (long)

Great report Agent428. You certainly saw what you went to see. Loved thought if the Ellie shaking your tent. Nice chance meetings with Cheetah killing and the babies. I envy you that.

Never got close to a Rhino in the Crater in several visits either.

Thanks again for sharing.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
448 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our Wonderful Trip with SafariCare- Feb 2010 (long)

Hi Great review thank you. We are also doing the same parks in the ame order as you in a couple of weeks. Could you tell be about how long the journeys were from one place to another? Also what currency did you take/use?

Thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our Wonderful Trip with SafariCare- Feb 2010 (long)

Thanks for the in depth report. Sounds like the perfect safari to me!

Edited: 10 March 2010, 23:08
Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our Wonderful Trip with SafariCare- Feb 2010 (long)

The Sopa report has been posted on the review page:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g317085-d573044…

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Our Wonderful Trip with SafariCare- Feb 2010 (long)

thanks Africanlion I thought the comments on Sopa were interesting.

Australia
Level Contributor
238 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our Wonderful Trip with SafariCare- Feb 2010 (long)

If you read the other reviews, he is not the only one who has posted along those lines. I am staying there for a night and am prepared for the worst, will be trying to ignore the negatives and just focus on the scenery and wildlife.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,988 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Our Wonderful Trip with SafariCare- Feb 2010 (long)

africanlion: when are you travelling?

I will be interested in reading your reports.Sopa lodge gets rec. often because of the road and views. I am pretty much against any form of discrimination albeit suttle . Guides dining with clients has been discussed many times on this forum. In my opinion it should be left up to the parties involved.Maybe the larger tourist lodges/hotels just dont want the hassle. But their should be a nice way to go about it.

On this issue I will reserve my judgement.

Guangzhou, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Our Wonderful Trip with SafariCare- Feb 2010 (long)

Hi,

Most of the trips are not really very long. The longest was from Lake Eyasi to the central Serengeti. But to me the scenery was so beautiful, and there was so much to see, it didn't seem long at all.

I found all but the Sopa lodge presented the bar bill in USD dollars and wanted to be paid in dollars. I got money from the ATM at the airport (shillings) and used that to tip. I had a separate stash in a blank card for the guide, we decided to add a bit and some personal comments because we thought he was great. On Zanzibar most things a priced in shillings. There is an ATM in Stone Town.

USD need to be 2004 or 2006 mint and in good condition. Try steam ironing the bills. Makes them look newer.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,416 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our Wonderful Trip with SafariCare- Feb 2010 (long)

Thanks for the balanced view of Sopa. I have stayed there many times and not seen obvious discrimination. I honestly thought the drivers chose to eat communally rather than in a crowded restaurant with wazungu food. It never occurred to me to think otherwise. I shall check this.

However I can see some merit in management discouraging the practice as if the restaurant is packed there will be capacity problems if each car brings their driver along. BUT there is a right way and a wrong way to do this.

I would be shocked if it was deliberate discrimination as this does not really exist in TZ (Either way!) which is what makes it such a lovely country to visit.

Can African Lion make a specific request and report back perhaps?

Edited: 11 March 2010, 14:13