We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tanzania visa

los angeles
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tanzania visa

First of all I want to say this is an amazing website, I've gotten so much great info during my safari planning, and will continue to use it for my futre trips. Thank you all for your input. I am getting ready for my trip in June and have a few questions about Tanzania Visa. Should I get my Visa before I leave? is there a long delay if I get it at the airport when I arrive? Last qeustion: Do you apply for the Visa directly with the Tanzania embassy or is it better to go through a Visa service. Thanks!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tanzania visa

There are quite a few posts on here concerning this. It is easy to get your visa at the airport on arrival. They have the forms available at the visa desk or you can download them from the Internet (using the Tz Embassy website). It's all according to how many people on your flight in are getting the visa and where you are in the queue you are as to how long it will take you. Typically it doesn't take all that long, and you will need to wait for your baggage to arrive on the belt anyways, so it really doesn't matter. When you get your visa there you don't need to go through passport control (and there's a line for that), after getting your visa you to right to the baggage belt and retrieve your luggage. You don't need photos or anything except the forms and $100 in correct change.

I never get my visa in advance, the Tz embassy in Washington DC is not all that efficient and I don't like sending my passport to someone who is inefficient, might not ever see it again.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tanzania visa

Hi as Karl says, get on arrival. simple. NEVER use a so called "visa service" its just another way for someone to get their sticky fingers into you wallet, they do no more than you do yourself, and charge an arm and a leg to do it, in the same way as the so called ESTA services that have sprung up since this requirement was introduced by the US, a simple rip off. Bear in mind that you are allso giving a stranger all the info needed to clone your identity.

This applies to pretty well all the Southern African countries, as a US, EU or Commonwealth citizen visas are mostly avaiable on arrival with minimum formallity.

Ivan

los angeles
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tanzania visa

Thank you. I did see all the previous posts after I already posted my question. My outfitter recommended that I get Visa ahead of time, but I didnt feel comfortable sending off my passport so close to my trip, especially after reading the posts here. My flight does not arrive until around 9 PM, from your experience, is that a busy time for Kili intl?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,624 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tanzania visa

No time is a "Busy Time " at JRO.

OK if you disembark from KLM's 777 you will have a fair few bodies around at once. BUT the TZ Immigration are geared to cope with it.

two entries back (MD11) we were out in the taxi in 15/20 mins. It took longer to find the luggage.

Last time DEc25th (777) we were met by a chap who took cards and Passports from a bunch of travellers, handed them in en bloc and they were stamped and returned in 15 mns. Just like a production line at Fords.

One reading and swiping, one checking the cards, another stampng in the Visa. LHR could take lessons let alone DHS.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tanzania visa

JRO, though an international airport isn't LAX or JFK. KLM will be the only flight landing on the one runway. Paxs will disembark (no jetway) down the stairs into the terminal where those with Visas go to Immigration and those who have to purchase to the Purchase window on the far wall. It shouldn't take more than 15/min and then you go collect your bags. Then outside to meet your guide/driver. Very simple.

wolves/ UK
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Tanzania visa

hi,

I came onto forum to find the same info as yourself. still not sure to get before we go or wait until we are at airport. had conflicting info !!

We also go in June (7th) sooooooo excited.

Can anyone advise if better to get the visa before we go or wait until we are at airport ?

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tanzania visa

nateluksa,

Your question is answered in this very string.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,624 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tanzania visa

nateluska,

You are in a slightly better position in that the UK High Commission is more friendly and reachable than folks in US A.

You can make a personal application but the time involved is longer than the wait at DAR or JRO. The mechanics of it are a bit pedantic too.

Pay Fee into Bank, get receipt. Send receipt with application, photos etc.,

Far better to arrive at Immigration with a happy smile, hand over $50 note with landing card and form prefilled. Get your Passport stamped and on your way to a great Safari. Easy peasy.

Edited: 15 March 2010, 23:13
los angeles
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tanzania visa

Thank you all for your help. I think the fee has gone up to $100. You think I can get by with $50 if I have a very nice smile? : )

los angeles
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tanzania visa

One more question: The form to hand in upon arrival at JRO, is it the same Visa application form from the Tanzania Embassy? (I'm from the US). No need for photo or bank statement right? Thanks!