We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari companies?

Nanaimo
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Safari companies?

My 18 year old son is planning on travelling to East Africa in May. We are trying to get a feel for who to travel with in terms of safari companies. We are looking at Dragoman or Gecko Adventure.

Does anyone have any advice on these companies?

Thanks,

USA
Level Contributor
701 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari companies?

I've encountered Dragoman in other parts of the world. Lots of young people of various nationalities. Fairly large groups for cost savings. Everybody seemed to be having fun. They were spending time in a location I did a good deal of research on and decided it was a good place to go. They were there too.

2. Re: Safari companies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2010, 11:44
Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari companies?

I think OPs son at 18 is looking for the Overland experience with his peers not a Safiri as is normally understood. Dragoman and Gecko do this well.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safari companies?

I travelled over land from Nairobi to Jo'burg last year with African Trails and would thoroughly recommend them. The come in a fair bit cheaper than some of the rival companies, but in actual fact there was little difference - ie we stayed at all the same camp sites etc!

5. Re: Safari companies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 March 2010, 10:35
Nottingham
Level Contributor
69 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safari companies?

We did an overland trip from Nairobi to Cape Town at the end of last year with Acacia Africa. It was excellent, although with any trip there were a few hassles and ups and downs.

I would check out carefully who you son chooses to travel with as most of the travellers we met were a LOT older than 18. Everyone on our truck was late 20's-early 30s although we did have one 19-yo for the East Africa section. Other companies to consider that might suit his age group are GAP or Absolute Africa.

Also look carefully at the itinerary for where you stop and how long you are in each place - Absolute Africa (who we met up with a few times) travelled slower than our truck and spent more time in each place.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,890 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safari companies?

Susan Webster , there is a very recent report on Gekos on the second page they seemed to do a good job . I have known the company in Tz for years and they run good trips for what they are. Realiable and relatively cheap.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safari companies?

taijah.

Oh the shortlived exuberance of youth.

""were a LOT older than 18. Everyone on our truck was late 20's-early 30s"" Gosh early 30s. Positively ancient and ready for the Pension book!

Have you signed up for this trip yet Karl?? I will if you will!

Edited: 31 March 2010, 15:13
nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safari companies?

Me too, me too!

We'll set those "young-uns" straight!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safari companies?

Well that should bang the average age up a notch or two. Might make 40+ with you along. Welcome aboard Ms Sandi.

Instead of Dragoman they would have to rename it "Dragogeriatric!"

I wonder if No Expert and Kime75 will sign up too? Hope there is an Oxygen bottle and fibrilator on board. Awesome thought!