We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

KiSwahili language lessons

Michigan
Level Contributor
211 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
KiSwahili language lessons

I've already completed the Pimsleur KiSwahili course on CD but they don't make any courses past the intro course. I did order the Rosetta Stone course but returned it after one day. I thought it was horrible AND they didn't send me all the materials they promised. I was REALLY disappointed in the Rosetta Stone course. Even though they didn't send me what they promised, I stil had to pay return shipping!

Are there any others available? I'd like a course I can listen to in my car, if possible.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: KiSwahili language lessons

I just searched "Swahili" on Amazon.com and there are about 5 choices there. Nice thing is that there are reviews. I didn't look at them all, but Swahili, Compact: Learn to Speak and Understand Swahili with Pimsleur

got pretty good reviews and some of the reviews look quite helpful.

OOOOOPs, I see now that's the one you got. Well, if you look at the first review, the reviewer is recommending the next thing to buy.

somerset, england
Level Contributor
267 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: KiSwahili language lessons

You could try the double CD and book pack by Joan Russell. We used it and got on quite well with it and the CD's have audio tests on them so are good for the car.

Nikki

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: KiSwahili language lessons

I don't know where in Michigan you are from, but there are universities in Northern Ohio close to Detroit which have Fulbright professors who are teaching Swahili and they will do some private things for you. I know there is one at Bowling Green State University and I think one at U. of Toledo. I have quite a few Tanzanian students at both these universities and they will do some private KiSwahili lessons at times. There is also an art student at Siena Heights University in Adrian Michigan and she might be able to assist you.

Not exactly take along in your car with you, but if you are looking for something more advanced then the intro courses offered on CD this might be useful. For those things past the intro courses offered on CD they are few and far between and not easily obtained here.

Michigan
Level Contributor
211 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: KiSwahili language lessons

Thanks everyone! I just ordered Swahili (Spoken World) [Audiobook][Unabridged] (Paperback)

from Amazon.com

----------

I live near Lansing, Michigan. If you know of anyone in this area that may be able to give KiSwahili lessons, please let me know!

:)

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: KiSwahili language lessons

Sorry, don't know of anyone over there.

6. Re: KiSwahili language lessons

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2010, 06:18