We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

private vs. group safari

Portland, ME
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
private vs. group safari

In the process of planning a safari with Good Earth Tours for June 2011. For $300. extra, it can be a private safari vs. a group trip with up to 12 people. Just wondering whether going private is worth the extra money?

Many thanks!

Kent
Level Contributor
485 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: private vs. group safari

Hello,

I guess it’s totally down to you. The main advantage of a private safari is that you can do things at you own pace. IE if you are particularly keen on leopards for example you can seek them out and spend longer watching / photographing etc rather than having to go with the group consensus.

Arusha, Tanzania
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: private vs. group safari

I would say that there is a definite advantage in paying extra for a private safari. You will be able to arrange the timetable exactly as you want it. e.g. if you want a lie in one morning instead of going out for an early morning game drive then you would only be able to do that if you took a private safari. And you can concentrate more on what interests you. You also don't know who your fellow passengers might be. Chances are that they would be like-minded individuals with similar interests to yourselves, but you never know! $300 is actually not much more, so if I was you i'd go private!

Enjoy your safari.

Anna @ Restoration Safaris

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: private vs. group safari

For only $300 (n the scheme of the total cost), that's a no brainer... go with a private safari for all the reasons stated above.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,763 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: private vs. group safari

I agree it's a no-brainer. Private, if you can afford it.

Don't get me wrong - some of the best experiences on safari are when you exchange that days highlights in front of the camp fire.

But there is nothing more guaranteed to ruin your trip than someone saying "OK - I've seen enough elephants,can we look for rhino, now?"

My first safari experience was in a minibus with a young woman who had a phobia about mosquitoes! She would shriek at the sight of one. She also loved watching impala all day. Lesson learned......

USA
Level Contributor
703 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: private vs. group safari

$300 is the best money you will ever spent.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: private vs. group safari

No question about it - $300 is cheap to ensure that you will get the safari that you want; without taking a vote from the group. And Murphy's law will tell you that you will always get put in a group where there will be one person demanding that you stop and look at every dung beetle which only interests them.

By going private you will be able to tailor your safari to suit yourselves.

Do it without questioning.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,194 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: private vs. group safari

Well I just have to agree. For $300 that has to be the way to go for all the reasons given already.

Your car, your call. Long or short trip today? Whats that bird? (Or for non birders, let's not stop for another Lilac Breasted Roller today. we must have seen enough to bake a pie.)

And I have not even touched on compatabilty so I won't mention it.

Portland, ME
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: private vs. group safari

Thank you all for your input and, in general, for the incredible info you provide. We will definitely go the private route.

9. Re: private vs. group safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2010, 06:20