We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary perusal and questions....

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
itinerary perusal and questions....

Hi All,

Pretty happy to have narrowed down our choice for February 2011. I'd love you all to take a look at it and comment. It's from Wayo, and is a private safari for two. We are mid forties in age.

Day 1-arrive Kili Karama Lodge

Day 2-Arusha National Park for a guided walk, lunch and then canoe trip on Momella Lake. Back to karama Lodge.

Day 3-Drive to Lake Manyara Nat Park, gamedrive in afternoon, then to Kirurumu Tented Lodge. After dinner, a night game drive.

Day 4-Visit Mto Wa Mbu village for cultural experience, farms, schools, local homes, market, etc. Then to Rhotia Valley Tented Lodge for afternoon of leisure.

Day 5-Drive to Southern part of Serengeti Nat Park. Make stop at Museum of Olduvai Gorge. Spend the next 3 nights at Flycatcher Ndutu Tented Camp.

Day 6-Serengeti-game drives

Day 7-Serengeti-game drives

Day 8-after breakfast, slowly drive towards Karatu and NGO, making game drives along the way. Afternoon arrival at Rhotia Valley Tented Lodge for 2 nights.

Day 9-NGO Crater, back to Rhotia Lodge.

Day 10- relaxing morning, then back to Arusha, dropped off at a day room at Karama Lodge to relax before flight back from Kili.

Everything sounds good to me (but whadda I know?) except I can't help but notice Tarangire is not there and frankly, Day 4 sounds a tad bit boring. Can these (should these?) be switched out? I had another company quote that had this in it for a day: "Visit Hadzapi Bushmen in the Lake Eyasi Area and and a morning hunt/walk with them." I thought that sounded way more interesting, but of course, I don't even know where in relation I am or if just any company can arrange to walk/hunt with these Bushmen. Or if I should just scrap it and add in Tarangire. Ok see, I'm repeating myself now.

What are your thoughts? I sure appreciate any insights.

Thanks,

-Surf:)

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,208 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary perusal and questions....

I agree with your thoughts. Where is Tarangire?

Forget the Hadzapi as this really takes two days which you don't seem to have.

Try this (and it is still rushed)

Day 3. Drive to Tarangire (you could do this on the afternoon of Day 2 too.)

Game drive and overnight Tarangire Safari Lodge.

Day 4. Manyara pm drive and overnight at KTL or head to Rhotia Valley. Both excellent places. Forget all that schools, farms stuff. You will get that at Rhotia.

You are now back on your itienrary.

Day 8. Stay near Crater rim (Sopa, as you can descend coming in from Serengeti and exit to Sopa direct. )

Day 9. down the Crate for early morning and then back to either Rhotia or KTL whichever you missed.

(Rhotia Valley is at least TWO hours from the Crater entrance. Do not double back.

Day 10. If you missed Manyara on the way west do it now in the morning and still time to rest up at Karama. Although to be honest you could leave KTL and drive straight to the plane.

also consider if Arusha day worth the time.

That's my two cents. It is still rushing around for me but if you only have that amount of time at least make the best of it.

Edited: 27 April 2010, 18:26
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary perusal and questions....

Thanks mfuwe! I appreciate your comments and will for sure ask for Tarangire. Anybody else have any suggestions?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary perusal and questions....

We have since tweaked it to drop the "farm" day (#4) and include a full day/night at Tarangire.

We have also extended the trip to add in the Hadzabe/Datoq tribe in Lake Eyasi, along with 2 bushwalks and hunts with them.

The price seems daunting to us, but since it will probably be a once in a lifetime, why leave things out we wish to do, to save a few bucks, right? That's my reasoning, anyway...haha. Now to see if OH agrees!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,208 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary perusal and questions....

I like reasoning like that. Longer stays after a long trip to get there make sense. (but you will come back anyway.)

5. Re: itinerary perusal and questions....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2010, 05:16