We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fault in Seacom Internet Cable

Boston
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Fault in Seacom Internet Cable

Hi.

I found this article on the BBC website.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10536273.stm

Don't know the full extent of the fault, but if you run into issues with e-mail responses to or from Tanzania, this may explain the reason. If you do have issues, just keep trying.

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fault in Seacom Internet Cable

Does anyone know if this affects Arusha? My sense is that it does not. My understanding is that this 'fast internet' has not reached Arusha yet.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fault in Seacom Internet Cable

I believe that Arusha might be affected Brian. The Seacom broadband fiber optic backbone phase one has been completed (whether they are using it or not I don't know). Phase one was to connect and extend the backbone to what's called the Northern Ring I (Babati, Arusha, Moshi and Tanga); Northern Ring II (Dar es Salaam, Morogoro, Iringa, Dodoma, and Singida); and Western Link I and II (Shinyanga, Mwanza, Geita, Biharamulo, Rusumo, and Kambanga). I know it was installed and is being used in Dodoma most probably because of the new university and Parliamentary offices there.

As for the outage, one report I saw pegged the problem as a repeater problem. If that's the case then I wouldn't think it would be down for much time. However, having said that, being a submarine cable it complicates problems and that may take a while after they determine what the problem is. It takes more then a snorkel to get to the repair point. My understanding of the problem has it offshore Tz and Zanzibar.

London, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fault in Seacom Internet Cable

I'm in Arusha and I can tell you that ttcl internet is affected. It is so slow that it is impossible to open most pages. It's a real pain in the *%|* and not great for business. The good news though is that mobile internet offered by vodacom (and perhaps other service providers) does still work.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fault in Seacom Internet Cable

Almost all places have been affected by this

Most of Companies are under Seacom.

But TTCL broadband is much better in speed compared to the rest of companies like Zantel etc

They are using other alternatives in order to make their customers to access,but the internet is more than slow for the rest of companies.

They have promised to solve this issue within a week.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fault in Seacom Internet Cable

I'm a little confused. Surprised? About a year ago, I heard that they were putting this incredible cable under the East Coast that would have an incredible impact and the speed and price of internet in East Africa. Since that time, I have continually asked if that fast internet has reached Arusha and I've been told no. So did that really fast internet reach Arusha yet? And is that what is currently not working?

Thanks to those in the know!

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fault in Seacom Internet Cable

This is called Seacom and it is a fiber optic cable which surrounds Africa For Tz it came ashore at Dar. From Dar it then laid out a backbone to different areas of the country and to other landlocked countries. Three of those backbone rings/links have been put in place (according to government reports). But whether anyone uses it or offers it as an ISP provider is up to local demand. Kind of like those here who have a Roadrunner cable going by their home or business and personally opting to continue using dial up connections. In addition the ISP may get his connection but split it up and not really offer full broadband service or offer full broadband at higher cost.

I know in Dodoma they brought the backbone to TTCL and then connected the university of Dodoma and government ministries and The Bunge. Others also hopped onto the cable, but I don't know what the broadband speed iis or the cost. My understanding is that the prices are still a bit high (but you know that all Tanzanians think any price would be too high). TTCL is charged with the distribution of the backbone so if you know someone there they would probably know the status of the cable broadband access in Arusha.

Edited: 09 July 2010, 00:14
London, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fault in Seacom Internet Cable

The problem seems to have been fixed...or atleast to some extent. The internet in Arusha is much faster today. As to whether fast internet has reached Arusha yet...i'm not sure on all of the technical details but no it has not arrived yet but I have heard that it should arrive within the next month or so. Fingers crossed...

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fault in Seacom Internet Cable

From my IT guy in Arusha: "The internet is not ready yet , we did not get any problem because our ISP’s in Arusha are still using Satellite we don’t have problem with the internet it’s just slow as usual."

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fault in Seacom Internet Cable

OK, if they are using a satellite link then they are not on the Fiber Cable. Probably a cost decision. They wouldn't be affected by Season fault; and they wouldn't have broadband service.

10. Re: Fault in Seacom Internet Cable

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2011, 06:15