We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adding Zanzibar to safari

Canada
Level Contributor
358 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Adding Zanzibar to safari

I have a quote for a safari which includes a flight from Senengeti to either Arusha or Zanzibar at the end. We do want to add 5 days in Zanzibar and have chosen a hotel. Should I just book the hotel myself or have the Safari company do that, ie would I get a better price doing it myself?

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adding Zanzibar to safari

I can't see how how you, as a possible once-in-a-lifetime visitor, would get a better price than a local agent who books hotels all the time, but you can always ask.

You will probably find the price will be much the same, but if the agent books it, you then have one point of contact for the whole trip, and the agent, not you, has the hassle if anything changes , eg a flight delay.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,624 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adding Zanzibar to safari

If you book direct you will most likely get "RAck Rate" or close to it. The agent will possibly get a discounted rate for his custom which he may or may not share with you. (Most do!)

Leave the work to them. They have a living to earn.

If your quote is for either ARK or ZNZ and you book direct with Hotel at latter I think it an even chance you will then find the quote is for ARK only.

Zanzibar
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Adding Zanzibar to safari

Like other said:

The direct booking is not respected with Hotels, unless you pay in full amount,also will get a Rack rate which is very expensive compared to Tour operator who share the STO rates with you and your booking will be safe.

Most of the time those direct clients are sacrificed by being shifted to another hotel when they overbooked.

Regards,

Zanzilandholidays

Saint Paul...
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Serengeti National Park
Level Contributor
1,800 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adding Zanzibar to safari

What operator will share the STO rates with clients? That's not logical. If one is in business, then the whole point of the STO rate is so that the tour operator has some room to make his profit on selling the hotel. That's how the business is done worldwide.

For me, I honestly don't care if someone books Zanzibar through us. We make very little on the transaction so it's really just about providing a service and the complete package to our clients. If they think they can save the money (they probably can save a little going direct) and they want to deal with the logistics, communication, confirmation, transfer arrangements, and payments, that is perfectly fine with me.

It's true that the logistics in Zanzibar are manageable though. So no matter who does it, (tour operator or client directly) it can be managed. It's just a question of who gets that job. Price will be nominally different in most cases.

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adding Zanzibar to safari

I agree, not much difference most likely. Just let your safari company book that as well. Less hassle for you and unlikely to cost any more than if you book it yourself. If you prefer to book it yourself, no problem.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Adding Zanzibar to safari

If you book hotel direct, also suggest you arrange meet/greet at airport and transfer to/from on arrival and departure.

If with your safari provider, this service will all be included.

... and do check whether the flight from SER is to ARK or actually to ZNZ; you don't want to be left without the ongoing flight to ZNZ. And, then remember the flight from ZNZ to DAR, JRO or NBO for your homebound flight.

Again, with the safari provider, they can handle all for you. You have a single contact and someone to run interferrence if any problems - with hotel, flight changes, etc.

So your choice!

7. Re: Adding Zanzibar to safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2011, 06:18